Durso question

BigFish11

So i bought a tank off cl in Jan. The tank has always been loud, but my wife and i are expecting a little one any day now so my attention hasnt really been on anything else. In other words i have been in a stupid haze. I just now realized my problem to my loud tank and it is that my durso has three holes punched in the pvc pipe next to the elbo that connects the intake strainer. My question is how can i fix this? Do i need to replace the pvc pipe or maybe get mcgiver on it and use some sort of tape to cover the holes.

Since i am the walking idiot right now, if this is not the problem with the noise, please tell me. Any help would be great

r2d2

What kind of noise you have? There is a lot of places were an overflow can make noise. If you are refering to air holes in drain pipe you may be hearing like flush sound... does water level in overflow fluctuates?
Greetings

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
There is supposed to be one hole at the top of the durso to allow it to drain without siphoning. You can plug two of the holes and see what happens or try sticking an air line into the durso and feeding it down till they become quiet.

BigFish11

Thanks guys for the info, the noise is definitly a gargling and its really loud. I did last night tape it up and the pvc pipe started to shake pretty badly, plus it was fluctuating a lot, i got nervous and took the tape off, but it was definitly quieter. Im sure there is a simple solution, but i just cant figure it out. There is a hole in the top too, but what do you mean by putting a tube down it?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Regular air line tubing like you use for bubble wands and air stones, just get feed it in from the top hole as it goes down it will reach a point where it will quiet the durso, you have to play with the length and depth the line goes in but it will quiet it.

Also make sure the other end of the air line is lower than the tank rim, so if you durso ever gets clogged it will cover the airline and create a siphon flushing the line rather than overflowing.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Look up hofer gurgle buster, you can see what I mean about the airline. The air line setup works with durso stand pipes as well.

BigFish11

ok i get that, i have a built in overflow box, and the durso is in an upside down J shape, with the three holes by the elbow at top, do i cover those?

r2d2

It take some time to find right tunning. You just have to spend a couple of hours paying with it, nothing can go wrong.

Greetings