drilling glass

skeletor121

I just picked up a used 150 gallon Glass Tank yesterday. I have a lot of work to fix it up, but got a bunch of stuff with it and got it at a good price. It does not have any holes drilled into it yet, but came with a HOT overflow that he used for a long time w/out problems. After reading a bunch of posts on different forums, including here, I think that drilling corner overflows would be the best way to go. I have no experience in this, since I have no overflows or sumps in any of my other FW tanks. How easy is it to get the holes drilled? How big should the holes be? Do I only need 2 holes drilled (one in each corner)? Do I need to drill a hole for the return? The setup that came with it just had the return come over the top. I don't mind doing it this way, but want to make sure there is a reason not to go along with his return setup. How many holes, total, will I need to drill? What are the locations for all the holes? I'm probably going to have someone else drill the holes because I don't want to ruin a nice tank. The dimensions of the tank are as follows: 60Lx24wx24h. The stand that came with it does have holes drilled in the corners which I am guessing are for the overflows to come down into a sump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mwrager

I would get two hole drilled in each corner. one for the supply and one for the return. As for some one to do the drilling i would contact your local LFS, they sould be able to help. As to the size mine are 1 inch holes and they work for me.

SZHTTM

As far as drilling, you first have to make sure that the glass sections you decide to drill the holes into is not made of tempered glass. Tempered glass will shatter as soon as you start drilling. Some aquairums come with this type of glass on the bottom. So try your best to identify this if at all possible.

Some of my local fish stores (LFS) drill the holes for you for about $20 a hole. Or, maybe some local glass cutting stores could do this for you also.

As far as how many, for a 150, I would have to recommend a total of four holes. Two drains and two returns. One of each should be as far apart as possbile. For example, one drain and one return near the back glass and close to the side glass of each side.

Something else to consider before drilling...be sure you know exactly how big of a hole you want. For example, of you want a 1" hole, then you need to drill a 1 3/4 inch hole to accomodate the bulkhead that has a 1" opening. Also make sure that the hole is drilled far enough from the glass on the back, side, and or adjacent hole to allow the bulkhead to fit properly.

Good Luck;
:thumbup:

skeletor121

I'm still not 100% sure that I want to drill the holes. The more I find out about it, the more problems could arise. I'm not gonna set up the tank until summer so I have some time to work on it. I may just try to use the HOT first. Too many decisions.

EdgeKrusher

Take it to a local glass shop. I'm sure they'll drill the holes the size you want and where you want them for a decent price. That way if they mess it up they owe you a new tank and you wont be SOL. Not that they mess these things up, they're Pros. Just an Idea.

HTH

Bill

mwrager

If you are going to drill them, do it before you set it up. I have 2 tanks drilled and 2 tanks that are not. Why i like my tank to be drilled is i can set the tank closer to the wall. Also the water noise on my drilled tanks seem to be less

Dennis7

I would go with a drilled tank. You won't be sorry. Like everyone recommended, use 1" drains which require 1 3/4" holes. You could go 2 in each corner, or do 2 drain hiles in middle back of tank and returns in corners of the back. The setup is limitless, it all depends what you want. My 120 gal has 7 holes drilled in it. 2 for in the center for the overflow, 2 holes , one in each corner for returns, 2 for returns for closed loop and 1 for pick-up on closed loop.

wooddood

the wood dude
im thinking about doing the same thing.im like you though its a little scary.good luck on your decision though.

jks1

can somebody take a pic of the back of their drilled tank, mine is a 75g, so i can get an idea of location for the holes. Thanks in advance

wooddood

the wood dude
i dont think anybody that drills the holes for you will guarantee the job like stated above.i would definately check that part out first.that is just what i have heard.hth. dave.

Pro_builder

you could also go with a center overflow and run 1 1 1/2 hole and 2 1" for return. That would only make you have to drill 3 holes and you can point your return lines into each corner or however you want. It will make the water flow in the tank more turbulant and better for corals.
That is what I did for a 220 Display tank.
I will try to get you pictures of it in a few days.
JMO

pista01

I would like to see the pics too. I was thinking of a center overflow as well for my 75, mostly because I don't want to see the overflows in the corner.