Drilling a Glass Tank

TonyD

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be. All it takes is a steady hand, a little water and patience.

This is my frag tank(seen here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/38867-my-45g-frag-tank.html )

drill01.jpg

drill02.jpg

To start the saw without marring up the glass, I started with a 45 degree angle till I felt I had enough to keep it still.
drill03.jpg

It took about 2 minutes to let the saw do it's magic.
drill04.jpg

drill05.jpg

Overall placement put the drain right where I wanted it to be.
drill06.jpg

A couple of foam pieces to support the tank and keep it from sliding while standing in the tub.

Krabby2k

I have always wondered about this! thanks for the thread. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the drill bit for and how much?

ReefGuy69

It would be a smart idea for everyone to chip in and buy one of these bits. And then RS members can like rent them out for $1 plus shipping and it will eventually pay for itself. and then once it does the extra money it brings in can be donated to RS. And One member can mail it to the next member. just a thought. Same thing with Chaeto. One person can mail it to another for just the cost of shipping and they can pay it forward by mailing it to the next person in need once they get theirs built up and so on.

new reefer 03

It would be a smart idea for everyone to chip in and buy one of these bits. And then RS members can like rent them out for $1 plus shipping and it will eventually pay for itself. and then once it does the extra money it brings in can be donated to RS. And One member can mail it to the next member. just a thought. Same thing with Chaeto. One person can mail it to another for just the cost of shipping and they can pay it forward by mailing it to the next person in need once they get theirs built up and so on.

i may be wrong, but dont these bits only cut a few good holes, then they get dull?

Jeremy0322

The only problem with that is these bits dont last very long, the glass drilling process takes a pretty heavy toll on it. I got mine on ebay, it was about 18 bucks including shipping, and they said you could probably drill about 10 holes with it, but i dont know if i would trust it for that many in my opinion.

TonyD - When you drilled did you set something on the otherside of the tank to catch the glass when it fell, i know that if it hits right it can crack the other side of the tank. I used clear packing tape when i drilled mine and taped the opposite side of the hole alot so as soon as i broke through the tape caught it before falling, and then had a towel on the other glass all balled up just in case. It looks like you did a good job, and I like the water delivery method. You need ALOT of water to keep the bit cool and it looks like that worked out nicely! Good Work

ReefGuy69

Ahh i assumed there was a limit to how many times you could drill. wasnt aware it was only 10 or so. Still even 10 times and they are $18 per bit. at lets say $5 per person . thats $32 per bit in profit to RS.

Jeremy0322

Yea, I just kept mine. I figured I will be in the hobby long enough to drill something else, and ill need it again eventually.

TonyD

I used my had behind the glass. You can feel it when the bit is coming thru. Not that it was the smartest thing to do but it worked out well. Glass-Holes also has the bits in various sizes.

I bought mine off of eBay also.
So far I have 14 holes drilled with one of them, it just starts to take longer to drill a hole the more holes you get on one bit. Keeping them cooled with running water while drilling helps to keep them from getting dull.
I built a jig out of thin plywood to get my holes started. Its just a small plywood piece with the same size hole as the diamond saw. Tape it onto the tank with duct tape (when the tank is dry) and it keeps the bit right on track. I used to do it the freehand way starting at a 45 until I had a couple of them walk out and put a nice line into the glass.
I also tape a piece of duct tape on the backside of the hole and put a towel inside the tank to avoid the glass piece you are cutting out from cracking the tank.