Drilled tanks

essmaker

PREMIUM
I woud like to see some pictures of peoples tanks that are drilled to see what different configurations there are.

Specifically, where are the holes in relation to the water line.

Thanks for anyone who has a picture that would show your drilled tank!

ReefLady

Staff member
Our 180g tank is drilled with 3 x 1" bulkheads (no overflows). You can see a couple pics here: >our sump page<

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the center of the bulkhead hole is approx. 3.5" - 4" from the lip of the tank.

Any ques., just yell.

essmaker

PREMIUM
Thanks RL!

The picture of your drain and return is exactly what I wanted to see. Does that drain allow the floaty stuff on the surface to get sucked away, or do you have a different way of solving that?

BoomerD

RL, I thought the previous owner of my 180 was the only one who did this! Here's a pic of my 180 as it sat in his house.
GRRR! Try again!

107180before-med.jpg

Last edited:

BoomerD

O.K., obviously not doing something right. The link is there. Can someone school me on doing this to make the pic appear in the post?
Thanks.

ReefLady

Staff member
Nice tank! Yep, the setup looks familiar. Did you change to overflows?

O.K., obviously not doing something right. The link is there. Can someone school me on doing this to make the pic appear in the post?

You had everything perfect. The forum was somehow set up to not allow "

BoomerD

Yep, ordered a brand new Tru-Vu acrylic with dual overflows. 1 to feed the sump & skimmer, 1 to feed the closed loop & sea swirls. Now, what to do with this tank? 2 yr old Oceanic glass. Weighs about 450 lbs. (oof!)

Pro_builder

Here ya go, this is my old 70 gal tank that I had drilled in the back. Not sure I liked it, but it worked really well.

Attachments

• trochusgametes.jpg
    trochusgametes.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 79

johnlewis

My 180 I am putting in place is drilled at the bottom. Two intakes one on each end, and the center is a return. I am going to have two other returns over the top on a sqwd.

BoomerD

Got a message from the Mods that they moved the pic. Here is where it SHOULD be:
107180before-med.jpg

By the way, this Oceanic Glass 180 (tank only) is for sale. Contact me by e-mail. BoomerD (at) pacbell (dot) net.

Last edited:

openbrain

The picture of your drain and return is exactly what I wanted to see. Does that drain allow the floaty stuff on the surface to get sucked away, or do you have a different way of solving that?

Hi, this is Don, Teri's husband. Yes, the way it is set up it will top skim. I didn't glue any of the pipe that is inside the tank, that way I could adjust them so they were not noisy.

wooddood

the wood dude
don i noticed in the pics on your drains that htey are tilted up breaking the water surface.is so air will help the siphon?thanks dave,ps,good to see ya on here i think you did one heck of a job on you & teri's reef.thanks.

wooddood

the wood dude
boomer i was going to say that pic worked fine for me in your first picture post and when i just looked at it it's just an x box.you tell me.

openbrain

don i noticed in the pics on your drains that htey are tilted up breaking the water surface.is so air will help the siphon?thanks dave,ps,good to see ya on here i think you did one heck of a job on you & teri's reef.thanks.

Thanks Dave, Actually, the air siphon noise was my biggest problem. It was the noise that was created by the sucking sound, I kinda compared it to Niagra Falls. :p