Dragonet

JWarren

Very cool! He is very colorful! I saw a photo you posted of him in another thread. I ment to ask you about him but I lost the thread.

Techno-Vicki

Hey Michael, get the girl friend and they will dance:) see my video flash of fire just below. Mine haven't danced for a while, but I think it is because she is not quite right. I am not sure why.

michael_cb_125

I am getting her a male soon. Maybe tonite. I know that mandarins are disease resistant fish. I have a pet store near my house called fintastic. They have alot of fish but some seem very unhealthy. Others seem fine. I have seen ick in a few of their tanks. Can mandarins get ick? I may go this evening and get her a BF :)

panmanmatt

Usually mandarins and other scale less fish don't get ich because their heavy mucous coating doesn't allow the cysts/parasites to attach.

Hypertek99

I guess i'll share too. I just bought a Red Mandarin the other day so i caught my green one out and put them together to show you guys the color difference. I'm putting the green one in my frag tank and the red one in my display.
4jluyv.jpg

2hnb85e.jpg

He's not even scared of me. Swims up to my hand. Hopefully i can train this one to eat frozen or dried food.
Green and Red together.
52kprn.jpg

23sujyv.jpg

11b69le.jpg

My green mandarin has been with me for almost 9 months now. It really fatten up after i added the refugium in. Then i was at the lfs and saw this target mandarin and i had to save it since it was starving.
Well for you people that think you can keep 2 mandarins think again. The 2 mandarins competed over the pods and finally the target mandarin died and the green mandarin is a little skinny again. But now he's starting to fatten back up again after the target died. Here are some pics of my target mandarin.
2rgc8s2.jpg

sw47yt.jpg

vdituri

That red mandarin is a beauty.
I've never seen one available locally.
Are they a rare variety?

Hexabob

I want one of these fish but my set up is still to new. I will have to wait until July or so to ensure proper quarters for such a beautiful fish.

tbittner

I love Mandarins. VERY beautiful fish. Mine never comes out front though. I DO see her picking on Foxface sometimes when he is in back trying to sleep though. Really ticks him off! :lol:

tbittner

Wow! That red mandarin is beautiful! I didn't know there was such a thing as a red mandarin.

I have a 100g fuge, and it's ALL fuge, and my tank is swarming with pods. The mandarin can't keep up with them. I DO believe that my system can support another one. I'm interested in hearing about your setup that with two mandarins they competed for the food and there wasn't enough.

I don't want to make a mistake with these beautiful, exotic fish. :)

JWarren

If I havent cleaned the front glass in a while mine will come out and munch on the pods that hang out under the light. He will stay in the back for a few days right after I clean the glass though.

Hypertek99

Wow! That red mandarin is beautiful! I didn't know there was such a thing as a red mandarin.

I have a 100g fuge, and it's ALL fuge, and my tank is swarming with pods. The mandarin can't keep up with them. I DO believe that my system can support another one. I'm interested in hearing about your setup that with two mandarins they competed for the food and there wasn't enough.

I don't want to make a mistake with these beautiful, exotic fish. :)

Well i thought i had enough pods too for 2 mandarins but i guess i was wrong. But since your fuge is 100gal that's huge. Give it a try just keep an eye on the mandarins if they start to get skinny then you know you don't have enough pods

Hypertek99

Oh i'm trying to figure out a way to train them to eat frozen. If i'm successful then i'll put the green one back in my display with the red one. That would be awesome.

SamMag

Hey how many mandarins can I keep in a mature 300 gallon system. What about a mature 125 gallon system. Also has anyone anyone ever bred this little fish. They seem like a good little begginning saltwater breeder fish.

mps9506

Hey how many mandarins can I keep in a mature 300 gallon system. What about a mature 125 gallon system. Also has anyone anyone ever bred this little fish. They seem like a good little begginning saltwater breeder fish.

There are numerous accounts of these guys breeding in captivity. The main issue (like most marine fish) is collecting and raising the larvae.

AFA how many dragonets can be kept in a specific sized system; every tank is different. 1 or 2 might be fine in a 300, maybe 4 or 5. It depends more on your bioload, what type of fish you have that will be competing for food, etc, than the actual size of the aquarium.