**~DOW~ Reef Supplements

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Alrighty folks its that time again. As voted by you this weeks discussion is on Reef Supplements. What do we need? How do we know when? What are the best kind to use? What kind of a maintenance routine do you have?
Lets hear it folks, what has worked and what hasn't.

Mike

Maxx

I'm using Seachem's ReefBuilder to keep my alkalinity up, and Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium to boost calcium. Thats really about it.
Thye work fine for my small system.
Nick

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I use turbo ca and reef builder and a magnesium supplement when needed (i test), and a 10% water change every 2 weeks.

PSU

jimeluiz

I am happily using the ESV B-Ionic two-part Calcium Buffer System. Early on I added Kent Marine Liquid Calcium to get my calcium up, but have not had to use it for a long time.

Every other week or so I add some Kent Marine Iodine - just for good luck ;)

While we have only soft corals I have thought of installing a calcium reactor just to take the daily task out of the mix. We are taking a one month vacation in April and I need to ramp up to a more 'low maintenance' set-up that a tank sitter can handle easily.

Seein my pH low some time ago I picked up Seachem's pH 8.3 Marine Buffer. It was supposed to raise my pH to 8.3 without over-dosing. I got no results and hated the process anyway. So I stopped. My pH has been 8.1 practically every test since the beginning. The sea water I buy from the LFS is 8.1. Sigh. I'm not going to fight it... (Unless of course you all convince me otherwise.)

CAT

I've used Seachem for about 7 years - Reef builder, Reef Complete and Reef calcium a couple of times a week for maintenance, plus 10% water change every 2 weeks.

cleartank

I use:

1) Kent Osmo Prep to replenish the RO/DI water.
2) Kent Turbo-Calcium
3) Kent Strontium & Molybdenum.
4) Water change: 6 gal. (8%) of 75 each week.

This routine works very well for me; along talking to and making eye contact with the critters daily. :)

dgasmd

-7-10 gpd of kalkwasser running 24/7 via reactor.
-Ca reactor output.
-foods
-salt in the water for taste:D :D

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I do water change every two months or so for supplements! Add kalk at times but may start dripping it for now!

That is about all I do!:)

Cougra

I use Kent Turbo Calcium to boost calc levels if/when needed and Seachems Reefbuilder as an alk boost if/when needed. I determine if I need any sort of boost after testing for calcium or alk only.

In order to keep my water levels constant I rely on 10 -15% water changes every 7 to 10 days.

However, do to current problems from lack of proper maintanence I'm going to be changing my routine a little and start dripping Kalk and closely monitoring water chemistry again so that I can get the drip dosages right without hurting the tank anymore then it already is.

EdgeKrusher

I just dose Kalk on a daily basis, and do a 10% water change weekly. that's it. Every thing is good to go.

Peace

EK

mark42

i dip kalk every night after the lights go out ,i also do a 20% water change every month , i really dont like adding alot of chemicals in my tank and its doing well:smirk:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Welcome mark42!

I dose half the recommended dosage of Iodine weekly, and kalk, but have been slacking on that lately:D, soon, tho, I won't have to worry about dosing kalk once i get my reactor:D I also do a 10 gallon w/c every 2-3 weeks (25% of actual water volume)

wooddood

the wood dude
i use all these twice a week,all seachem products/reef plus/reef builder/reef calcium/reef complete and dt's 3 times a week.its workin for me anyway.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Very weak Kalk drip 24/7, 1 drop of iodine once a week, and water changes every month or so. I believe the key is using a good high-quality salt. I switched from Kent to Coralife and have had just amazing results.

When I first started I had a Kent product for everything. The more and more I read I began to realize that I didnt need all that crap. Occasional water changes work just great.

addict

I dose Seachem Reef Complete whenever the calcium levels drop below 450, which also replenishes some Magnesium and Strontium.
I also add a half-dose of Kent Iodine whenever I think about it, and I use some Seachem pH buffer if the pH ever gets out of whack (which thankfully it hasn't since about the second month running).
Other than that, all trace elements and such are handled by water changes... normally a 20% change once a month...

jks1

I just drip kalk 24/7 and run tests once a week or if I see something in the tank that doesnt look right. I have Kent superbuffer and calcium but have only had to use it a couple of times. I started with Oceans Blend 2 part but found I couldnt keep my PH and Ca levels where I wanted them. Switched to Kalk and within a week all was good

JB NY

Here is what I add to my 180G SPS tank.

Weekly 10% water changes.
Calcium Reactor 24/7
Nilsen Reactor 24/7 all top off water goes through it.
Salifert Coralline amino acids 40ml once a week.
Strontium 1 tsp daily
Carbon, 16 tablespoons once a week for 48 hours, I do this three days before my water change.
Ozone 40mg/hr for 2 hrs a day.
Clean my skimmer cup once a week and wipe out the riser tube.
Feed Live Rotifers to the tank every night 1/2 after lights out. 2 gallons run through a plankton collector then dumped in the tank(rotifers not the waters).
When I remember, I feed algae disks to the sand bed. I drop 2-3 in the tank at night. They sink to the bottom of the tank to be consumed.

I think that's it :D

-Joe

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I run a steady kalk drip 24/7 through kalk reactor, 10% water change every 2 to 4 weeks, If alk or calc levels get out of whack, Kent SuperBuffer and Kent Liqid calcium as needed to adjust.