DOTW - Skimming

Scooterman

LOL, I guess not!

Repeated skimming, is it worth it? Well in my 30g sump, I have the skimmed water returning back up-hill so I'd imagine a part of it is getting Re-skimmed. Skimming twice to me (MY Opinion, no facts here) isn't that necessary or important when you look at the overall system and what is being removed. Instead a more efficient skimmer would be preferred or even a micron sock filter, that is swapped out every few days would be very beneficial, but at the end it all breaks down to husbandry, if you don't do it, you will eventually have problems on some level.

Witfull

Originally posted by middletonmark
Yeah, that is a great catchy phrase ... but the solution to pollution truly is never letting the stuff get in there. Or quick removal.

And somehow `a good tool to minimize pollution, is dilution' just doesn't have the same ring ;)
removal approval

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
water flow is the key. Get it up , get it circulated and get it out asap.

And a great skimmer to do the rest. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Is there a chemist in the house? It sure would be nice to see an experiment done on the effects of skimming.... something like a before and after water testing. Or better yet, have the skimmate tested to see exactly what it is, EXACTLY. Maybe that's been done already?

Problem with testing what's in skimmate is that some at least would be bacteria and stuff the bacteria is working on [soon to be dissolved nutrients].
By the time one analyzes it ... IMO it may have changed form/composition already.

Curtswearing

I agree with your point Mark.

An unscientific test would be to turn off your skimmer for a couple of days and then run a Dissolved Organics test. Turn on your skimmer for a couple of days and then run the test again. Granted this is very unscientific unless someone had two identical 10 gallon tanks sitting around.

Might monitor ORP, pH when not running the skimmer [maybe dissolved oxygen, along with organics].

I'm actually running the opposite test right now ... overskimming. Was unhappy with my Remora Pro on my 58g SPS tank .... and I was able to pick up a used PM Bullet 2 from a local guy for a great price.

So now I'm skimming with the Bullet 2 ... just getting it tweaked now. As I'll be pullling vastly more skimmate from the tank - I'll see what if any effect `overskimming' [if that's possible] will do.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Skimming will take out some water or water with organics, in saying this it will take out the elements associated with the water it pulls out. So yea it removes some elements that way.
The skimmer will also remove organics (detritus/waste) as solid forms and dissolved forms. It will also remove bacteria and planktonic life forms, which are also concidered organics thier just alive still. In removing the plankton and bacteria you are effectivly removing P and N as they have bound it to thier matrix. Yes you loose a little planktonic life but the vast majority of these froms are on various surfaces on the tank and stay close or attached to it.

Mike