Dosing pump location in my C-130

Orlando-Jeff

Just bought a dosing pump to make my life easier. My question is: could I place the pump in my cabinet and pump up to the tank? Would I still get an accurate dose if the liquid goes that far. I don't really want to place the pump outside and above the tank if I don't have to..

DaveK

This all depends upon the kind of dosing pump your using, what your dosing, where you locate the pump, and where you want to introduce what you are dosing into the system.

Often you can dose directly into the return section of the sump so you need not even go up to the display tank.

Orlando-Jeff

going to dose 2 part. Seeing that my sump is right behind my display tank, the height would be the same. The height between my dosing pump and the sump would be about 3 feet

Oxylebius

I have the dosing pump and liquids in the cabinet and the tube to dispense the solutions go into the back display. If you are concerned on amounts being pumped, you can always measure what comes out of the tube and compare it to the volume you have the pump set at.

In this pic you can see on the left where I drilled the holes for the tubing.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks..I'm thinking that all I need to do is calibrate the pump with the desired length of tubing I will be using. Then,check the accuracy of the volume pumped

Therapy

From what I understand, most dosing pumps are peristaltic pumps. As such they are capable of rising great lengths. The biggest issue is waiting for the dosing hose to fill b4 it dumps the first time.

Here is the Wiki explanation of peristaltic pumps.

A peristaltic pump is a type of positive displacement pump used for pumping a variety of fluids. The fluid is contained within a flexible tube fitted inside a circular pump casing (though linear peristaltic pumps have been made). A rotor with a number of "rollers", "shoes", "wipers", or "lobes" attached to the external circumference of the rotor compresses the flexible tube. As the rotor turns, the part of the tube under compression is pinched closed (or "occludes") thus forcing the fluid to be pumped to move through the tube. Additionally, as the tube opens to its natural state after the passing of the cam ("restitution" or "resilience") fluid flow is induced to the pump. This process is calledperistalsis and is used in many biological systems such as the gastrointestinal tract. Typically, there will be two or more rollers, or wipers, occluding the tube, trapping between them a body of fluid. The body of fluid is then transported, at ambient pressure, toward the pump outlet. Peristaltic pumps may run continuously, or they may be indexed through partial revolutions to deliver smaller amounts of fluid.

Hope this helps.

Therapy

202317-BRS-Two-Part-Doser-Dosing-Pump-c_1.jpg

You can see the cam action here on a typical dosing pump.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks therapy.
I did figure out that you need to calibrate the pump when the tubing is full of liquid. I emptied the tubing out the first time I calibrated it and the dose was way off. I did it again when the tubing filled up and the dose was perfect. I guess after its calibrated the tube needs to stay full of the liquid you are dosing