dosers

VoodooChld

what are your suggestions on a good doser. I want the most bang for my buck, I dont need nothin to fancy as long as it is reliable and automatic. However I also need a ph probe so if anybody knows of a good combo deal... thanks a million like always

billyr98

Charlie, you can never say that enough!! Some people just don't know and add everything... I did when I started.. Bought all the Kent stuff, now just what I know I need...

VoodooChld

It maybe a bad idea (good thing you thought to ask me that "what are you dosing??" i dose A/B but by hand...-BILLYR98)). I was thinking about dosing purple-up. and I know im supposed to test but I dont. I do plan to start soon, I just want more purple. shoulld I use kalkwrasser or a cal reactor. I've tried to read about those two thins but I find it some what confusing and it didnt sound like a necessity. I have a clam and would like more i have about 100 gal total

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
One of the best things that I added to my tank was an auto top off. It not only keeps the salinity constant but it also doses kalkwasser in small frequent amounts and keeps my levels very good! I say get an auto top off (dual floats) that draws from a 5-10 gal kalkwasser resevoir :)

VoodooChld

Woodstock said:
One of the best things that I added to my tank was an auto top off. It not only keeps the salinity constant but it also doses kalkwasser in small frequent amounts and keeps my levels very good! I say get an auto top off (dual floats) that draws from a 5-10 gal kalkwasser resevoir :)

How often do you fill your bucket? is your tank open or closed? Do you need to have something that raises your cal? doesnt aragonite put cal in the water? It must be important though, the kalk, b/c you use it. and what kind of top off do have? I lose atleast 2-3 gal a day and have been wanting one for a while. The only place ive seen em is on ebay. some are made for kalk distribution. Is yours? how do you get your kalk in the tank?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I fill my 5 gal container ever 2n'd day.
My tank is open. Only a MH canopy sits on top of it with 4" open front/back.
My cal stays up perfect using kalkwasser. A calcium reactor would be needed if it was SPS dominant.
The kalkwasser provides ca/alk in a balanced mix.. keeps the ph up too. I do add an alk buffer a few times per week by hand to keep the alk to 10.
I have a homemade top off... I'll post a pic of it... but you can get them online fairly inexpensively.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I used to top off my reef every day..sometimes 3-4 times a day by HAND
eek.gif
Brian_e made me this AWESOME auto top off device and it works like a charm! He made it by hand. It is easily adjusted, has a dual float switch to eliminate floods, and is very well made. This gadget is easily worth it's weight in gold!!! I love it! The float switches are located in the sump and wired into an extention cord that has a small ph plugged into it; the ph is placed into a container filled with kalkwasser. This little unit keeps the sump at a very constant level! I highly recommend it.
smile.gif

floats_auto_topoff.jpg

VoodooChld

Woodstock said:

I'm sorry, but im still confused. kalkwrasser is a fluid right? so you have a kalkwasser container and the topoff conected to dual sensors so they both turn on at the same time? I think you for the pic but I'm afraid I'm not sure what exactly im lookin at

Woodstock

RS STAFF
kalkwasser is a mixture of calcium hydroxide (powder) - I use mrswage's pickling lime, and ro/di water. It is mixed at the rate of 2 tsp per gal of ro/di water; shaken then poured into the reservoir. From the reservoir, it is pumped via a very small powerhead wiht vinyl tubing into the sump where therein lies the dual floatswitch. As the sump water level drops due to evaporation, BOTH float switchs drop which then powers the power head.... and voila~~ auto top off! :)

billyr98

VoodooChld said:
It maybe a bad idea (good thing you thought to ask me that "what are you dosing??" i dose A/B but by hand...-BILLYR98)). I was thinking about dosing purple-up. and I know im supposed to test but I dont. I do plan to start soon, I just want more purple. shoulld I use kalkwrasser or a cal reactor. I've tried to read about those two thins but I find it some what confusing and it didnt sound like a necessity. I have a clam and would like more i have about 100 gal total

be careful with dosing purple-up this stuff worked for me... but it is a bottle of phosphate! it will raise them radically! so either add phos-ban or the maker of purple-up also has another product that keeps your phosphate in order with purple-up...

VoodooChld

woodstock,
you dont manually mix it do you? do you use a reactor? b/c that would mix it for you right?

(and how come my karma is going down? And when I try to give karma to you two for helping me it tells me I need to spread it around but there is usually not alot of people responding to my posts. But you guys are great! I try to give karma to everyone. thanks)

lcstorc

Don't know about karma going down, but you have to give to 10 people before you can give again to the first.
Unfortunately, I have no answer for your real question since I don't use it.

Kensn

I used to mix my kalk by hand.. Let it sit, then drip the clear into my tank everynight by means of a Kent dripper. Kind of a pain in the butt. So I went with a Calcium Reactor, high cost up front, and does not top off, but keeps levels real nice. I will be doing an auto top off soon.... but it will be straight ro/di...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Voodoo... yes I mix the kalk by hand then pour into the reservoir. When I upgrade, I'll have room to hide a calcium reactor!! :bigbounce I'll also get a phosban reactor :D

(Ohhh.. you have karma ;) )