Dory fish swimming sideways

reefle

flame angel passed away, but the blue hippo is doing fine....not sure what happened. ive been checking temperature, ammonia, and salinity every hour and things seem ok

I think everyone learns this lesson. The big box pet stores should be off limits for livestock. I've boycotted them since seeing some fish suffering in their tanks. Surely some stores are better than others but it's the principle.

Tip: NEVER BUY A FISH FROM PETCO. the hit or miss is too much stress

reefle

I think everyone learns this lesson. The big box pet stores should be off limits for livestock. I've boycotted them since seeing some fish suffering in their tanks. Surely some stores are better than others but it's the principle.

I agree, I'm sticking to reefs2go. I'd much rather pay a slightly higher price for better quality fish

DaveK

ahhh 150?!?! I heard 75 was good enough. It's a baby at only 2 inches right now, so I hoped a 46 would be good enough for at least half a year. Then I was planning on going to a 90 as my next upgrade.

You were suplied with incorrect information. In fact I'm being a easy on the tank size. See this (offsite) - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+330&pcatid=330 Note that they recommend 180 gal.

Size of the fish has little to do with it, since the fish needs the "running room". I also feel that you are better off with a longer tank, a 6 ft long 125 gal tank would be better than a 4 ft long tank of the same volume.

Now people have gotten away with using smaller than recommended tanks, but it's risky. I'd say consider something like a 125 or 150. It will be longer than a 90, and cost somewhat more to set up, but you'll be doing right by the fish.

Oxylebius

You were suplied with incorrect information. In fact I'm being a easy on the tank size. See this (offsite) - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+330&pcatid=330 Note that they recommend 180 gal.

Size of the fish has little to do with it, since the fish needs the "running room". I also feel that you are better off with a longer tank, a 6 ft long 125 gal tank would be better than a 4 ft long tank of the same volume.

Now people have gotten away with using smaller than recommended tanks, but it's risky. I'd say consider something like a 125 or 150. It will be longer than a 90, and cost somewhat more to set up, but you'll be doing right by the fish.

I agree with the above info - tangs swim many, many miles a day on a reef. They need the swimming space, not volume of the tank. You risk stressing the fish which compromises its immune system and lends itself to picking up diseases and infections more.....

Length of tank is something I recommend you serious think about, particularly since you were already gonna upgrade anyway.....