Dorsal Fin lumps on tomini tang

imaccat

Hi

I've had my Tomini tang in my QT tank for 7 weeks now and 4/5 days ago I noticed 2 small round lumps on the dorsal fin. It doesnt appear to be ich as they aren't white (they are the same colour as the fin) and they are visible from both sides, which make me think they are under the skin rather than on top of it.

At first I thought it might be a parasite so left it a day or so to see if they came off of their own accord, but they havent. So yesterday I did a freshwater dip (as per Leebca's thread), this didnt work as they lumps are still there. However I'm not sure if the stress/impact of the dip will make all this meaningless as the fish is not in a good way after the dip.

Assuming the fish recovers from the dip (which I'm not that confident about at the moment), can anybody help with what this might be and what treatment I should give. I cant show any photos as the fish is permanently hiding at the moment.

Tank details - 30 gal QT

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-20ppm

External canister Foam filter, UV sterilizer, 1 powerhead

I am going to do some water changes to get the nitrate down as there appears to have been some overfeeding while I was away on holiday - could this be the cause?

Thanks

imaccat

As I suspected the tang didn't make it. I'm so frustrated, I followed the dip procedure to the letter and it killed the fish.

leebca

Sorry for your loss.

However, it is a leap to assume to the FW dip killed your fish. Your fish was ill and was left untreated and undiagnosed. A treatment for other conditions, not the condition is actually had, was performed and the fish passed away shortly afterward.

I don't believe the issue was the dip, it was the 'undiagnosed' and 'untreated' parts. :cry1: