Do you supplement elements?

Which of the following do you supplement for.....

• Iodide (iodine)

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Strontium

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Iron

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Molybdenum

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • A Combination

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • NONE- I rely on water changes

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Additives and Trace Elements
Before considering each element's role it is necessary to understand what is present in saltwater. Saltwater contains virtually all known elements. Those that are found in high concentrations - at least 1 part per million ( ppm) - are called major elements . This list includes sodium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, potassium, chlorine, sulfur, bromine, fluorine, carbonate, and boron. At a salinity of 35 pars per thousand (ppt) , there are about 35g of major elements in a kilogram of saltwater. The other elements that are present in seawater are found in very insignificant amounts and make up approximately 0.1% of the total dissolved solids. These elements have come to be known as trace elements and while they are only present in tiny amounts, they have still been found to be critical for the successful maintenance of life. These important trace elements include phosphorus, nitrogen, molybdenum, lithium, cobalt, silicon, iodine, iron, vanadium, copper and barium. Some of these trace elements, such as phosphorus and nitrogen, are crucial for the completion of biochemical processes. Others are important in that they are extremely toxic if they reach higher than desired levels.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I recently started supplementing for certain elements but once I change to Tropic Marin salt, I will probably stop. I began supplementing because my xenia was not healthy and was lacking something.... I also started dosing Iron for my goniopora. I dose the following: Iodide, strontium/molybdenum, and iron.

blue_eyes53813

Is your xenia doing better? My xenia does not do well and dont know what it is missing. I am only dripping kalk and dosing magnesium.

Reefstick

Woodstock,

How much strontium/molybdenum do you use and what brand do you use?
I have a 75 Gallon and I have been putting the same stuff in my tank for a while but noticed (through trial and error) that the strontium/molybdenum was creating Cyno. So now I just do a 10% water change enery two weeks.

Question #2 Do you think I should change from instant ocean salt???

Of yeah I also add Tropic marin Bio calcium.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Blue_eyes... In addition to beginning suplements, a few months ago I also added a fine aragonite sand bed of 3-4" in hopes of it dissolving and thus releasing elements to the water. With that said, yes, my xenia is doing very good now.

Reefstick... I am currently using Kent products but when they run out I plan to purchase ESV and Tropic Marin supplements. I have been doing a lot of research in that area and those two are my personal favorites. Currently, I am dosing 2 capfuls of kent stontium/molybdenum and 1 capful of Iodide every 2-3 days; I am also dosing 2 capfuls of Iron twice a week. Should you switch from IO?? ... If your corals are happy, stick with it.

When my current supply of IO/Oceanic salt is gone, I am definately going to switch to Tropic Marin salt. The elements in that salt are, IMO, superior to the others. I will then possibly stop dosing all supplements and rely on water changes for all elemental needs.... the corals will be the gauge of that decision....

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I drip kalk daily and occasionally will add a 2 part cal/alk and Mag. I don't do water changes so all other elements are added through the food I feed my fish.

BoomerD

Do you test for the things you are adding? If not, how do you know how much to add, or how much your tank NEEDS? I've been keeping S/W tanks for over 20 years, and have always believed that you never add ANYTHING that you can't or don't test for, and have relied on water changes to maintain my trace elements. Calcium and alkalinity buffers are something that is easy to test for with reliable test kits, but many of the trace elements, either there are no tests available for, or else they are EVEY unreliable, and in the case of iodine, (many add that instead of iodide) the line between "just right" and "Toxic levels" is very fine, and takes only a few drops too much to overdose.
IMO, all those fancy colored bottles on the shelf in the LFS are designed to separate you from your hard earned fish $$$ more than they are to really do anything of value in your tank.
When all else fails, do a water change!

oldsaint

I do a 25% water change every week. Usually after the 3rd one I test for iodine, strontium, magnesium and add if necessary. The iodine and strontium test are a real pita so sometimes I let that slide into the next water change but I normally get to them at least once a month.
Other than that, I dose calcium hydroxide, 8 tsp per day added to my topoff water and B-ionic 1 & 2, 1/4 cup each early in the morning before the lights come on.
All product are ESV except I use Lugol's solution for the iodine.

Cougra

I'm in Boomer's camp. I don't dose anything I can't test for and rely on water changes for trace elements. I don't trust any of the test kits for the trace elements. Even more important, I don't trust the trace elements additives on sale to be much more then water.

Witfull

waterchanges, waterchanges and a few drops of iodine,,,,waterchanges

(iodine for the xenia) yeah i dont test but 2-3 drops per 45g water change is well within norms from my OFR's eye~

mps9506

Only thing I have ever dosed in addtion to ca/alk is Mg. I never saw the need for the addtional dosing of elements as my corals seem happy with whatever is in my IO mix :)
Plus I am too cheap to dish out for 5 more different test kits.

ReefLady

Staff member
Nada for additives. Kalk drip, calcium reactor, and the tank tells me when something is "off" - then I'll test throroughly. Other than that, we do a full 'round of tests about ever 6 weeks to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

Mad Mike

Stront moly and mag, thats about it.

Read an a few different articles on Iron and micro/macro algae. Seems the iron helps the growth and one article said that alot of the miricle mud breakdowns were due to depleted iron. Basically low iron =die off = algae. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/chem.htm

I avoid iron and iodine/iodide. I see a real bloom of nusiance algae/ cyno when I add Io. Even if its only a drop of lugols.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I voted for water changes. I use the Reef enhanced versions of salt with added trace elements and i've had much success so far.

I also run a calcium reactor which also provides strontium.

I'm keeping a close eye on magnesium levels though... just in case.:yup:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
cheeks69 said:
Why don't you add calcium media to your reactor ?

I have... I use A.R.M. arogonite media in conjunction with CO2 to maintain calcium levels and supplement strontium. It keeps my calcium level at 450 and has not affected my PH one bit. I have not needed to drip Kalkwasser with my reactor... which I must add is awesome... like the Ron Popiel commercials "Just set it... and forget it!" :thumbup: It's made by Jeff at Lifereef.