Do you quarantine new tank arrival's?

Do You Quarantine

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

lance

Just curious how many of you quarantine new arrival's before adding to your display tank.

lance

new reefer 03

i wuold QT new additions, but being 14 and not having much say so i am not allowed to set up another tank. i haev to say no, but i recommend you do QT any new additions.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, I QT.
Anyone not doing so is a disease outbreak waiting to happen. I did not used to QT because I thought it was a waste of time. Then came ICH.... After I eradicated it from my tank, I vowed never to allow it back so now I QT everything 'wet'. Now my tanks are disease free and it is a great feeling! (for me and the fish) :)

DrHank

You should, I don't. My situation is a bit unusual as I have only purchased fish from two sources. First is established tanks of hobbiests that I've personally known and am sure that the fish are disease free. Second is our local Gulfarium Aqua Farm, where they quarantine everything before its sold. They get livestock in and it is immediately quarantined for 2 weeks before it's sold.

I'm picking up the hopefully last fish for my tank (a Majestic Angel) early next week. They brought it in and moved it to hyposalinity. They have watched to make sure that there are no signs of disease and that it's eating properly. Have gradually increased salinity. It hit 1.025 last Friday and I get to bring it home Tuesday.

Don't you wish that every store would do that? Their shipping losses are less than 1%.

barbianj

Don't you wish that every store would do that? Their shipping losses are less than 1%.[/QUOTE said:
That's the first that I have heard of hypo being used from a store. That's an excellent idea. Do they do anything for flukes or internal parasites? I'm sure that the QT is reflected in the price, but it's worth it. Although, a hypo/prazi QT at home in not a big deal.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I can speak to clownfish knowledgeably, I would assume it is the same with all fish. A wild caught clownfish has a 100% probability of having a internal parasites or some other pathogen. All wild caught clownfish should be treated before adding to an aquarium. They have a resistance is all, and fish as in humans, stress depresses the animals immune system so they are more susceptible to disease

Tank raised clownfish on the other hand are free of most of these diseases. They do not have acquired resistance to some of these diseases, and may not be able to deal with it if they catch it. So any fish to be put in the same tank as a tank raised fish had better be disease free.

So yes, QT is a must and my LFS has a QT too. Corals get QT too. Very few things, like anemones, I do not QT

twoclowns

I even do corals as a few years ago I got red bugs and montipora nudibranchs and I lost about 2,000 in corals and frags. So now I QT them even from people I trust and know have clean tanks, its not worth losing my system due to laziness at this point but my system is also about 500g so I have a lot a stake.

acemow

In addition to disease reasons for QT, I like to fatten fish up in QT, get them used to me and the foods I use, as well as getting them comfortable with me working in the tank, they happily swim all around my gloved hands or the occasional bare hand, that's less stress for them, easier for me!