Do they exsist?

Hey all,

Cool club!

I had to learn the hard way about owning a BSJ.. Unfortunatley he jumped.. :(

Now, I have the Solana XL67, with glass lid, and am wondering if paired BSJ's exsist? Please let me know, as this is something that I really want to get as the tank is perfect for them. 3.5" inches of Reef Special Grade sand, and will be one of the first fish introduced.

Thanks for the time. :)

:snshne:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Timmy G be careful with glass lids. They get "dirty" very quickly and tend to hold heat in the tank causing water temp problems. I suggest a small opening MESH top rather than glass.

BigAl,

Awesome Words of advise. I will have a chiller hooked up to the tank, (I actually already have it, I just haven't hooked it up yet) it's the current 1/10. As far as the glass lids, I have been squeedgying(spelling) them off on the daily, lot of work but I need it. On my BC29, I have 1/4 crisscrossed mesh lid, and my Helfrichs still jumped!

Wifey will seriously hate the hobby if another fish decides he likes the smell of fresh carpet! Lol, I just had the vision of the commercial where everyone is on their hands and knees snelling the carpet.

True wisdom BigAl but I have to have the lids. :( Luckily they open 4 way which I believe was for easier cleaning.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good luck buddy. Also you may want to factor in they inhibit water to air gas exchange. Add some provisions for that and you're good to go.

Carpet surfing fish SUCK!!

Happy Reefing :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm not sure how you would manage that. I gave it some thought when I posted and I can't get my mind around how to improve the water to air gas exchange. I mean maybe it wont be that big of a deal in your tank I don't know. I know in one of my tanks I installed glass tops and had some PH issues in addition to HEAT and they weren't even TIGHT lids (no cut-outs for the cords etc).

You've gotta remember all of our All-In-One tanks are a compromise between what is cost effective, functional, and works for the most number of people with the least amount of modification.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
as far as water to air gas exchange I'm sure it serves some benefit but it's surface area that wins the race in that arena and I'm confident the sump on this unit has minimal surface area. I'm just guessing as I've never looked into it on this unit.

Lol, and I am still wondering if I can get a paired BSJ??

With a 67 long, (48" L) could you introduce at the same time? Or what that be a verrrry bad idea?

lcstorc

Yes it is possible to get them paired up, but you need to realize you are taking a serious risk. If you get two males, the will likely fight to the death which can happen very quickly or take some time before they find each other. From what I hear 2 females will generally get along. I have a male and a female but I have never seen him with eggs and I don't know that I would call them an actual pair. For the most part they seem tp ignore each other though he has been in his mating colors for months.
It appears that blues with brighter yellow heads seem to be males and darky, dusky blues seem to be females. I have heard a couple of people say this and it is true in my case.
They are generally thought to "own" a 2 ft area which is why I took the risk in my 90g tank but I debated it for months. General fish knowledge would say to add them at the same time but I have never heard specifically about blues.
You absolutely want to make sure they are eating prepared foods before you buy them and I would put them in on opposite sides of the tank with large piles of rubble on both sides. Mine stayed on opposite sides of the tank for several months but are not both in the front of the tank maybe 18in apart.