Do I Need to Fuss With Spa Flex?

SkyReef

I had to use Spa Flex on the return lines from my external pump, to quiet things down. Previously, my Iwaki 40 MD RT pump caused the hard PVC on the return lines to vibrate and make noise. I ditched the Iwaki and will now replace it with a quieter pump: the Dart 3600.

Question: can I go back to the easy-to-predict life with hard PVC attached to the Dart Pump on the return lines, or am I asking for vibration-noise trouble? Should I try again with the Spa Flex? What do you think?

Thanks.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
vibration in the pipe is transmitted from the pump, spa flex will help, a foam pad or piece of carpet will help, I like to use the food grade clear tubing for a few inches to break up the solid connection

SkyReef

vibration in the pipe is transmitted from the pump, spa flex will help, a foam pad or piece of carpet will help, I like to use the food grade clear tubing for a few inches to break up the solid connection

Great, thanks, Sasquatch!

mbdave

You should always put some flex fittings in your set up. If you use all rigid it raises the noise level significantly and puts undue stress and in time could cause cracking.
Good luck,
Dave

Jackalope

yeah like in the world of HVAC we used all hard copper piping and a vibration isolator which was a flexible line about a foot and a half long to make the final tie-in to compressors. i would say if you want to, you could come off about a foot or so from your pump with flex then go back to hard pvc. another thing is to put rubber iso pads under the pump itself and it will absorb vibration before it transmits to the plumbing itself.

SkyReef

You should always put some flex fittings in your set up. If you use all rigid it raises the noise level significantly and puts undue stress and in time could cause cracking.
Good luck,
Dave

Thanks, Dave. I did notice a noise reduction in my Iwaki setup, once I switched to partial SpaFlex.