do i need to do a water change?

lcstorc

Yes a skimmer would help. The algae is fueled by excess organics and light. The skimmer will help remove the excess organics thus starving the algae.

DaBird

also, Munki...Try a little bit bluer spectrum of bulb, the one you have is probably very yellow...the LFS will be able to help you out...

lcstorc

Waterchanges preform two vital jobs for our reefs. They remove contaminated water and replace it with clean water. They replace trace elements that are used by our tank inhabitants.

munki

well yea i know what water changes do, but why every week? i was told to do them only when they needed to be done.

lcstorc

That is Cartman's opinion on how often they need to be done. I happen to agree particularly when you are fighting a battle with algae.

You have basically made an in tank refugium using half of your tank, which controlls Nitrates and Phosphates. If you could move it to one corner of your tank to do the same thing, you might be on to something.

Yes, regular WC's help control excess nutrients. Some have enough equipment so as not to have do them, but for the rest of us, WC's are a fact of life. They remove nutrients that feed algae. I use them to remove as much crud out of the tank as I can. A skimmer is a must too. Doesn't have to be expensive.

A few points to realize:
1. Lights are feeding the algae and diatoms. 2. Nitrates and Phosphates are feeding them too, they are eating it up thus leaving nothing to show up on a test (I've been fooled before too!). 3. Usie R/O water? 4. Powerheads for water movement.
Try cutting off your lights for a few days, then do a large water change. Many reefers cut their lights off for a few days each month to control algae. Think about it, does a reef have cloudy, stormy days? Yes your lights are helping to feed the crud. I'll second on getting bluer lights. Also cut back the hours they're on to 6 -8, like when you are home and can enjoy it.

I didn't really get control over algae until I got a phosban reactor. Cost: One small powerhead, $35.00 for Two little Fishes reactor, $10.00 for phosban, 1/2" I.D. vinyl tubing. Phosphate test kit. Set it up so it runs really slow thru it.