Do I clean the algae from my tubing

dtorbit

Hey everyone,
I have a 55 gallon main tank with a 20 gallon sump. Its been up for a couple of years and I have had a thick green algae in the tubing for just about as long. The tubing is the clear vinyl stuff. The question is....do I clean it out? There is no algae in my main tank or in my sump but since the tubing is clear I can see how much is in there.

And...if I should clean it out what if it comes back quickly? Would I need to disasssemble my plumbing regularly to get it out?

chipmunkofdoom2

Well, think about PVC piping... if there's algae in there, the owners never know, and if there's no sign of algae in the system, then they don't clean inside the tubing.. so I would just leave it. If it's not causing any problems, then what's the problem? :)

DaveK

Well, think about PVC piping... if there's algae in there, the owners never know, and if there's no sign of algae in the system, then they don't clean inside the tubing.. so I would just leave it. If it's not causing any problems, then what's the problem? :)

If you use any PVC pipe, light doesn't pass through it, so it's not going to grow algae on the inside. It's dark in there. You only need to clean areas like water outlets where light can get to it.

Algae inside clear tubing should be cleaned out. Over time it will block the the tubing, reducing water flow. So, yes, it is causing a long term problem, but you need not clean it like you would the front glass.

dtorbit

If you use any PVC pipe, light doesn't pass through it, so it's not going to grow algae on the inside. It's dark in there. You only need to clean areas like water outlets where light can get to it.

Algae inside clear tubing should be cleaned out. Over time it will block the the tubing, reducing water flow. So, yes, it is causing a long term problem, but you need not clean it like you would the front glass.

Good info - Do you think it would be wise to go to some sort of tubing that isnt clear? With my setup I need flexible tubing but if it wasnt clear it sounds like there would be less algae. This algae is pretty thick. I did notice that there isnt any in my durso which is obviosly made out of PVC so your comment on the light seems right on.

r2d2

You should clean it or replace tubing with nonclear one, green garden hose are nice for this job. I think cleaning will be a little difficult depending on tubing lenght.
Greetings

DaveK

Good info - Do you think it would be wise to go to some sort of tubing that isnt clear? With my setup I need flexible tubing but if it wasnt clear it sounds like there would be less algae. This algae is pretty thick. I did notice that there isnt any in my durso which is obviosly made out of PVC so your comment on the light seems right on.

What makes you think you need flexible tubing? Flexible PVC pipe is available, and you can add a threaded fitting and a hose barb to that. Then use very short length of flexible tubing to make the connection to a pump or other device that doesn't allow connection of standard plumbing fittings.

If you still want to use flexible tubing, Eheim uses green flexible tubing in all their canisters. Some online stores sell bulk or replacement Eheim flexible tubing. Naturally, since it's a "name brand" product, it's going to cost a lot more, but you usually only need to get it once.

There are also other plumbing type products you can use, but you do need to make sure they will hold up to SW and will be reef safe.

I do not recommend the use of garden hose. There are often chemicals added to it. If you read the label on it, it will usually state that it should not be used for potable water. Yes, I know, as a kid I'd drink from the garden hose all the time, but in a reef you are constantly running the same water through the hose, allowing it to leach out any chemicals.