DIY Temp controller.

Intranick

I'm thinking a temp controller would be a fun project. I could use a thermistor against a thin piece of something (duno what?!? any ideas?) to monitor the temp of the water, by creating a little probe for it that can be lowered into the water. I could have that hooked up to an arduino pro mini which would throw a relay (hooked up to the normally closed side, so if it fails, it'll be stuck off not stuck on) that would turn off and on power to any old heater, - and could do it for a fairly low price!

Has anybody tried this? Anybody interested in my results if i attempt it?

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I am truly ashamed to say....

...I only understood half of what you just said...

But interested none the less... :)

....Moving On, Moving On....

Intranick

well a relay is a mechanical device (or sometimes solid state isnt mechanical) that can turn a circuit on and off on signal from a microcontroller (such as an arduino) (think: really slow computer that can read sensor data and output signals in various ways, so simple its a single chip, they're in almost every "digital" device these days) .. a thermistor is a device that changes resistance based on temperature, which can be read by a microcontroller. basically a temperature sensor. it would be REALLY easy to do for me, and maybe useful for other people. Any questions?

Intranick

basically, it'd be a cheap way to create a backup so if your heater got "stuck on" this setup would cut power to it, so you wouldnt cook your tank. and be done cheaper than buying professional controllers that do similar things.

sk8rdn

Aren't thermistors notoriously slow to respond and kinda finiky out the consistency of their outputs? Also, would they be able to hook to something non metallic (so it could go into the water) and still take reliable readings?

I do like the idea though...

....Moving On, Moving On....

Intranick

well I use thermistors to read temperatures on my 3d printer, which works with melted plastic that if too hot, burns, too cold, doesnt melt or flows like crap. I think they're accurate enough for aquarium temps.

StirCrayzy

I just picked up a heater control, and what im surprised it lacks is an alarm if something does go wrong.
So i am interested in your concept to serve that purpose...
can a thermistor set off an alarm for both scenarios , over82 and under 75°.

Funlad3

well I use thermistors to read temperatures on my 3d printer, which works with melted plastic that if too hot, burns, too cold, doesnt melt or flows like crap. I think they're accurate enough for aquarium temps.

Time out; where do you have access to a 3D printer? Our school has one, but they're super expensive.

Funlad3

For under a grand, that's a great model! Once school starts back up, I'll get some pictures and videos of ours at school. It's insane. :D

Intranick

under a grand? hahaha. maybe the first time i turned it on i had $700 into it. By now, i bet I have $1500 :p I upgraded everything. I have stepper motors twice as powerful as specification, linear bearings, a top notch hotend, amongst other things. i get bragging rights over what i made of it. Now I just want an aquarium with bragging rights!!!! and this temp controller idea could get me there :)

Intranick

i'm the type I guess that if I could afford it, I'd drive around in a Shelby Mustang -- one of the new ones, but then go and try to make it even louder and even faster ;)

Funlad3

Factory specs are boring. What they can be the starting point for on the other hand... What software do you run?