DIY Tall Tank

jayhawkclint

I want to build my own tank. I've got an entryway closet that I want to convert into a reef. I have never built one before, but have some experience with fiberglass while building speaker boxes and boat repair, plenty of woodworking and plumbing skills, and general home handyman to trim it out. The part I'm nervous about is selecting the front glass, or maybe Acrylite.

I want the tank tall. I am looking at around 36" max glass width, which is going to be covered 1-1/2" on each side with trim for a 33" wide viewing area. I would really like to get at least 48" tall, maybe more. The calculators I Googled seem to max out at 36". So, question #1, where can I find a calculator for glass thickness of a tall tank? Question #2, for a tank this tall would you do glass or Acrylite? Question #3, if Acrylite, where do I find a calculator for that thickness?

Thanks in advance.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Remember, the taller the tank the thicker it has to be as the water pressure on the bottom seams increases exponentially.

According to this acrylic spreadsheet calculator, they recommend a 1.6" thick piece for a 48" tall by 36" wide open top tank. Although I'm sure others may vary in their estimates. Best thing to do is to contact a few manufacturers and see what they recommend and quote for the prices.

Regal Plastics

jpsika08

I have a really hard time giving maintenance with 28" tall tank; with 48" you'll need scuba gear.

dmatt88

My tanks 30" tall n honestly I'm on my tip toes reaching all the way to.the bottom. 48" is obscene.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

dmatt88

And some serious flow. Id also recommend a scuba suit. Saltwater is hard on the skin.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.