DIY: sump/fuge questions

kimbertent

Well, I want to build and sump tank with refugium in it to replace my wet/dry filter. I was originally going to do it in a 20L(30x12x12) tank but it was too long and wouldnt slide into my stand. I wanted to do a basic desisn with three zones, Protein Skimmer->Refugium->Return pump..all of them seperated by baffles.
since the 20L wont fit and i know a 20H (24x12x16)will, is it possible if i can add a 5g before it using a 1in bulkhead as shown in the picture.
scan.jpg

im sort of a newbie so be nice
My Questions..
1> is it possible?
2> is it big enough for a 72g bowfront?
3> is there any other suggestions anyone has?

Anselth

I'm pretty sure the basic idea is fine, I'm planning on doing something similar with my setup. I'd consider a few things though. First, make sure that your skimmer will fit in the cabinet when all is said and done. A number of models will force you to raise the skimmer off the bottom of the sump in order to have the water sitting at the optimum level. Second, make sure your bulkhead(s) are about even with the maximum level of the section they are in, and above the max level of the next section to avoid flowback (I don't think it's entirely necessary, but I'm a big fan of water travelling in one direction only). Also, the number and size should allow flow out equal to or greater than the flow in from the tank, else the first section will overflow. Melev has an example of a similar setup, although he has the refugium and skimmer sections switched, with the bulkhead feeding pvc piping to bypass the skimmer section directly to the bubble trap. http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/c/split_sump.html