DIY Sump design opinion

OK....firstly I have never designed a sump or tank (and I want this to have a fuge). I've read approx 15 discussions and articles on design and have come up with the image attached.

Am I considering enough and the right things? Any observations at all?

Any help would be greatly received..I'd rather just buy a sump with a fuge but there seem to be NO suppliers in the UK?!

Overall size should be 28x14x18 based on the cabinet I have available and to leave headroom for a low-height LED light rig.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

CazK

Looks like a pro setup you have planned out there. Only thing I'd suggest double and triple checking is the size for the pump area. Make sure to give the pump some room to move, like 1/4" to 1/2" on all sides.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Also on the right side, the first partition, I can see where the flow goes from the drain to the fuge, but I would not run the upper pane all the way to the top of the tank. If for some reason the flow ever got blocked, the water would just go up and out. If you leave a gap at the top it will be safer.

Thanks for the feedback, I've updated the original image above, is that better?
Caz, the return chamber is 7.5"x14" which is obviously massive, is a pump likely to exceeed this? I'm not putting a skimmer in there, I'm sticking with the stock RSM250 one. I might even shrink the compartment more to give a bigger fuge.

Last edited:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm not putting a skimmer in there, I'm sticking with a stock one?

What is a stock skimmer? You lost me there :) I assume you mean a hang on, is that correct?

I'm not putting a skimmer in there, I'm sticking with a stock one?

What is a stock skimmer? You lost me there :) I assume you mean a hang on, is that correct?

Sorry Eric, I should add a sig. I have an RSM 250 and so will be leaving the stock skimmer in the back rather than locating one in the sump I'm trying to design. My mistake for not clarifying that.

CazK

It all depends on the pump you ultimately decide to put in there. Most range from 4x4 to 6x4 but just want you to make sure the pump you get definately fits, would hate to such a beautiful design be messed up by an over sized pump.