DIY plywood sump

Willie McDaries

since I worked this up for JJ,figured I may as well up my post count as well :lol:

I built this from left over material from my tank build so it was a freeby for me but it is more economical to use glass if you're building from scratch but this is how I built my sump

I started with a wooden box,built with 3/4" plywood,screw holes were pre-drilled and countersunk so to not split the plywood,I used 2 1/4" drywall screws spaced 2" apart,I used a polyurethane base construction adhesive in all the seams....I also used bondo to fill in any imperfections in the wood and filled the screw holes so it would be fairly smooth

it is only about 65 gallons but as big as I could build it and still be able to place it inside my stand

HPIM2999.jpg

HPIM3000.jpg

HPIM3001.jpg

I then coated all the corners with fiberglass epoxy and embedded fiberglass mesh strips into the epoxy to reenforce the corners,after the epoxy has set a little while,I went back and added more epoxy to the flat surfaces and added more fiberglass mesh,overlapping the seams for added strength....

HPIM3011.jpg

HPIM3014.jpg

HPIM3013.jpg

once the fiberglass epoxy had dried,I drilled it for the bulkhead to use an external return pump and painted the entire thing with Sweetwater epoxy paint to further waterproof it,once the Sweetwater paint was dry,it was time to leak test it,as you can see in the pics above,it holds water :D

I then drained it and started figuring out the placement for my bubble trap and float valve for the ATO system....
I used 1/4" acrylic for the trap and added a piece in the corner to hold the float,silicon was used to hold in all the acrylic....

HPIM3141.jpg

HPIM3142.jpg

HPIM3143.jpg

HPIM3144.jpg

and for a simple DIY ATO system,I used a 5 gallon bucket placed just higher than the sump and let gravity to take care of the evaporation :D

HPIM3929.jpg

HPIM3927.jpg

HPIM3932.jpg

I use a ReeFanatic ATO system,to refill the bucket,it was getting old having to refill it every day...this little thing is awesome,I didn't want the sensors in my sump because of maintenance,I didn't want to have to keep 'em clean,used in the top off bucket,they stay clean :D this also keeps my RO/DI filter from having to turn on and off so often,I just placed a small pump inside my RO/DI holding tank,when the water in the 5g bucket drops below the bottom sensor,it turns the pump on and runs until the top sensor is tripped,once a day usually

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

since I was limited by space and couldn't build the sump as big as I wanted,I opted to have a separate fuge,I used a 20 gallon tall for that,I drilled it and installed a bulkhead and made an acrylic overflow in the corner,I just use this for chaeto,no sand or anything else in it,it is plumbed to drain back into the sump behind the bubble trap and fed from a Tee off my tank drain,plus I have a dual head propeller powerhead to spin the chaeto and added a 6500k spiral CF bulb for lighting

HPIM3169.jpg

HPIM3170.jpg

HPIM3187.jpg

HPIM3190.jpg

video of the chaeto fuge in action :lol:

[video=youtube;0swLeG-NsLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0swLeG-NsLg&feature=plcp[/video][/QUOTE]

and if you've followed my tank thread,you know I no longer use the 20g chaeto fuge,I have since added a 90 gallon frag/fuge and have the chaeto in a plastic tote that fit perfectly into 1 side of the 90g but I still have the twin head powerhead spinning the chaeto at warp speed :lol: and I now use a 250w halide for lighting,it is growing a lot faster now too :D

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Hey that looks familiar lol. Even the chaeto gone wild video is going to be on the first page of the new website.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Just out of curiosity Willie, roughly how much does the epoxy and fiberglass cost to build something of that size?

Willie McDaries

Nice!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

thank you :D

Hey that looks familiar lol. Even the chaeto gone wild video is going to be on the first page of the new website.

:lol: I like for my chaeto to spin a little

Just out of curiosity Willie, roughly how much does the epoxy and fiberglass cost to build something of that size?

The fiberglass isn't to0 bad, but the epoxy is expensive (I built a couple small boats back in the day).

Bear,jj is correct,the fiberglass mesh is not too bad but the fiberglass epoxy and the epoxy paint are expensive.....to build this,I'm just taking a stab at a guess,probable $350 to $400 to start from scratch and do it like I did mine,glass would have been less expensive.....this was all done with left over material from my tank build so it was basically free for me