DIY/Mod Bio Reactor

slakker

I haven't been active on the boards for a while, but recently upgraded to a 90G from my 72G bow front. I've always been a heavy stocker/feeder so have NO3 issues and wanted to try these bio reactors. I like the Cad Light one cause it looks so cool, but didn't want to fork out the $$ till I have some experience and confidence it it so I built this with a Phsoban 150 and a variable pump I had kicking around.

527126_10151316914911408_1649604281_n.jpg

Basically, I turned the phosban upside down and put the pump into the "out". Then put a 90 elbow on the "new" output to help it stand up on the pump, but also to direct flow. I also replaced the sponges with the screen material... as the screen is cut to size, I tool the extra material and made it into a funnel as you can see on the bottom of the chamber. It helps with the flow distribution and also tumbles the media really well!

slakker

I'm using the Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets. I got the 500ml bag and used about 1/2 of it by weight... I read in many places varying amounts of pellets to use... It doesn't look like an exact science, so we'll see how it goes in a months of so...