diy Mixing eductor-driven fractionation

Pro_builder

I built one to the specs that he has on that site and am running it with a Rio ( I know, they Suck) pump, and is working great.
I modified my CPR SR-9 skimmer to accomidate it. I will post pics soon.

Pro_builder

Stoney,
No mine doesn't sound like a jet taking off. I can barely hear mine.
Here is the update to the setup. I will keep you informed on the gunk production.
So far so good.
13Diyeductor121403web-med.jpg

13Bubbleseductorweb-med.jpg

13Hotrod_CPR_SR-9_Skimmerweb.jpg

skeletor121

I'm not 100% sure that this is how a mixing eductor works, could someone help me out? It looks like the water flows in the the T, forced through a smaller hole to make it like a jet, and then out through the other end of the T (straight line) in the same size pipe that it entered the T. The 90 degree part of the T has air sucked through it due to the venturi force of the water going through the T (causing a vacuum).
If that explanation is a little confusing here may be a better one: Water goes straight through the T, the flow of the water through the T sucks in air and places it into the water in the form of bubbles.
In essence you are sucking air into the water column (to go to the skimmer) without having to use a seperate pump to blow the air into the water. The only pump needed would be to push the water throught he T.
If this is true I may have found the way to complete a project I have been thinking about!

Last edited:

mnreefman

Originally posted by skeletor121
I'm 100% sure that this is how a mixing eductor works, could someone help me out? It looks like the water flows in the the T, forced through a smaller hole to make it like a jet, and then out through the other end of the T (straight line) in the same size pipe that it entered the T. The 90 degree part of the T has air sucked through it due to the venturi force of the water going through the T (causing a vacuum).
If that explanation is a little confusing here may be a better one: Water goes straight through the T, the flow of the water through the T sucks in air and places it into the water in the form of bubbles.
In essence you are sucking air into the water column (to go to the skimmer) without having to use a seperate pump to blow the air into the water. The only pump needed would be to push the water throught he T.
If this is true I may have found the way to complete a project I have been thinking about!

omg am i the only one confused....

skeletor121

Glad I got it right. Since it can suck in air, I would have to think it would be able to suck in water. Maybe this is the part that I have been trying to build to suck water out of the refugium and into the return line so it will not have to go through the pump. Now that I know what pieces I can use to create the suction, maybe I can get one together and try it out. I don't have anything set up to try it out on yet. I am just piecing everything together before I start my tank.

johnlewis

I read through the many links and looked at the various diagrams, but I still do not get how the water does not go back throught he space indicated on the picture.

Pro_builder

The water is under preasure nad already moving forward. That causes the vaccumm to suck in the air. Then if you run a 3/4" inlet from the pump you jump back to atleast 1" for the rest of the piping to the skimmer. This in turn, makes it so you have no back preasure.
Does this make sense?
I am running one of these on my CPR SR-9 with a Rio 3100. It works a lot better than the stock setup.

johnlewis

Does the ball valve on the air intake side of your reduct the sound and control air input, or what exactly is it's function. Do you need a 900gph pump or would it work with a smaller pump ?

Pro_builder

The ball Valve was in case I needed to adjust the air intake amount. I didn't glue it in, just set it in place. I am no longer using the valve.
There is a Ball Valve after the intake pump to controll the amount of water flow.
I haven't tried to use a smaller pump. this system needs head preasure to work properly. that is the reason that I am running the larger pump.
I would think that you could run a smaller pump as long as you reduced the size of the eductor too.
say a 450 GPH pump, you would run a 1" eductor instead od 2".
Does that make sense?

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
OK Pro

I built the first one on the thread over on TRT sounded like a jet taking off. Plus the skimmer production was so variable. Did you build the first version or did you build the second version with the end of the barb recessed further into the eductor housing. Did you build it exactly to specs or did you change it a bit. I would surely be interested in how you got it quiet and so forth.