DIY Filter Crisis

Saltwater Sarge

I have a 55 gallon tank that has a low-end H.O.B. filter that is just not good enough. I did my research and found a design for a DIY system that I liked. It is as follows:
1) Two (2) 3/4" PVC siphon to 5g bucket
2) Bio filtration cleans water
3) Mag5 pumps through 1/2" pipe back to the tank.
Simple right?

When I start the siphons, they over-run the pump in about 90 seconds, so I added ball valves so that I could slow them down... So now I've tuned it to where the siphons are NEARLY in tune with the pump. Of course, they dont match exactly.:waa:
So now eventually the siphons fill the bucket or the bucket runs dry.

Anyone have any ideas how to bring the system in sync w/o just buying a bigger pump?

DaveK

You just can not use a siphon by itself to remove water from the display tank. It will either drain the tank, as in your case, or let the return pump run dry, if the return pump can empty the bucket faster than the siphons can deliver water to it.

Adding the ball valves will not work either for the same reason. You'll either take too much water or too little. It is not possible to balance this.

What you need to do is to construct an overflow for your tank that will prevent the problem. Since this is a 55 gal tank, the glass is likely tempered, which means that you can not drill the tank. You will need to construct or buy an overflow. Here is a commercial example (offsite) - prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

By doing this, the water in the tank can only drain to a specific point. This keeps the tank full, since it will only drain out the volume of water added. The return pump should be adjusted to return less water than the overflow can remove. This will resolve your issue.

landshark

I have a 55 gallon tank that has a low-end H.O.B. filter that is just not good enough. I did my research and found a design for a DIY system that I liked. It is as follows:
1) Two (2) 3/4" PVC siphon to 5g bucket
2) Bio filtration cleans water
3) Mag5 pumps through 1/2" pipe back to the tank.
Simple right?

When I start the siphons, they over-run the pump in about 90 seconds, so I added ball valves so that I could slow them down... So now I've tuned it to where the siphons are NEARLY in tune with the pump. Of course, they dont match exactly.:waa:
So now eventually the siphons fill the bucket or the bucket runs dry.

Anyone have any ideas how to bring the system in sync w/o just buying a bigger pump?

:welcomera to the reef Saltwater Sarge! It would be helpfully if you could give us some more info on your tank or post some pics of what you have setup.

here is a like for a simple diy overflow system on youtube link

Saltwater Sarge

Don't judge me on the current theme of the tank. I got it back from my ex-wife this way.
945317_534870029885273_847365857_n.jpg

Right off the bat, ignore the returns... I'm still in the proof of concept phase.

181610_534870113218598_1939881713_n.jpg

I had cut a lid to fit the bucket, but the vibration from the pump made it sound like a diesel engine. Its quiet(er) with the lid off.
I'm using Bio-Bale for the time being, along with some fine floss I had in the garage.

Presently, I managed to bring the input/output in line. Its as close as I can get with what I have.

Saltwater Sarge

I've started looking around for a larger tank to work with, before I try to transition into Fish Only SW.

Any advice for cutting glass for an overflow drain?

DaveK

Overflows are best constructed out of acrylic plastic. Note that in your case, you'll need to have a box inside and outside the tank and simple siphons to take the water from the box inside the tank to the outside.

I would also suggest that you switch from filter floss to a filter sock. That will be a lot easier to clean and reuse. However, the floss is fine to test out the system.