DIY Auto Top off

This was very easy to do, not sure why I waited so long to do it. I've always wanted a auto top off but couldnt see having a a big contraption sitting in the living room next to the tank.

This works for me with a 90 gallon and 500 watts of lighting (bigger tanks will need a bigger bucket becuase of more evaporation is my point...)

I got an Aqua lifter from Marks Ark for 19.99
tubing for 1.99
pack of T's and flow regulators for the tubing 1.99
five gallong bucket 4.00
the chest i found at target for 12.00 of so...

the aqua lifet pump pumps at 3.1 gallons per hour. i could have just used the regulator to back up flow enough to suit my needs but feared the pump wouldnt last very long so i ran the tubing and then inserted a T. This is where most of the water is pumped back into the bucket and a little bit ends up going into the sump. each end up the tubing has a flow regulator and ive got mine set at about a drop every two seconds. this equates to 3/4 a gallon a day give or take.

you could also set it on a timer but i find it easier running all day on a slow drip as it keeps the tanks salinity more in balance this way.

hope this helps...

DSC03682-1.jpg

DSC03684.jpg

DSC03683.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

Raoul5Duke

I have the exact same setup on my 55, except I wish I could have found that $12 basket :laughroll mine was a little more expensive.... works great and no more worry about overheating an expensive return pump.

Wow! That looks very nice and professional. Good work! I still have gravity-fed system elevated with a cinder block that uses Kent valves.

nightfire76

awesome,im gonna do this on my 55g,i tried to find the exact pump at kmart where google said it was and no luck :(