DIY accent leds?

motomatt86

so i have 3 AI sol blues on my 180 and i want to add... a strip of red, green and UV... anyone have suggestions how to do this on a 72"L tank. Just want to get all the color i can out of my corals.

Mdk16

What do you have the AI's mounted to? Are they hanging or inside a canopy? Pictures of your setup would help.

reefer gladness

If DIY projects don't put you off check out RapidLED.com. For tight space requirements I'd use their 1.4" wide heatsink (drilled and tapped). I recommend independent dimmer channels on all channels (colors).

FWIW, green is barely used in photosynthesis, red doesn't do much either and encourages nuisance algae growth, U/V light doesn't penetrate very deep at all in water, it's pretty much the first color to get filtered out despite it's wavelength. The SPS corals found in inter-tidal areas that are directly exposed to the sun form a mucous slime to protect themselves from the suns harmful UV radiation.

So add these colors with care - there's a reason these spectrums haven't been emphasized in the flourescent and MH aquarium bulbs.