HELP! Dish sponges safe??

JamesR19

I bought these dollar store sponges to use in my wet/dry sump filter, as filter media, but the "Not for aquarium use" warning has me paranoid. Does anyone know if these are safe or if they have possibly been treated with some type of chemical that isn't listed on the packaging? No ingredients listed - non scented
ae0b485a3933c97215cb41a9cf58564f.jpg
7d53dd47fb77a152bb2255c7aa387242.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

DaveK

It is unlikely that these would cause a problem, especially if you cured them in SW first. You just never know for sure until you try them.

However, while they will work as a biomedia, they are not as effective as many other biomedia.

Also, consider that wet/dry filters are typically only used today in very specific systems. Typically these are systems where you can't use the usual amount of live rock. Typically, today if you have a wet/dry filter, you simply don't use any biomedia, since the live rock in the system does this. You might want to rethink your filtration system.

JamesR19

It is unlikely that these would cause a problem, especially if you cured them in SW first. You just never know for sure until you try them.

However, while they will work as a biomedia, they are not as effective as many other biomedia.

Also, consider that wet/dry filters are typically only used today in very specific systems. Typically these are systems where you can't use the usual amount of live rock. Typically, today if you have a wet/dry filter, you simply don't use any biomedia, since the live rock in the system does this. You might want to rethink your filtration system.
Thank you!

I have limited room under my stand due to the design of the stand support. The sump I can fit under the tank is relatively small. 20g compared to the 90g tank. With what space I have I figured a wet dry filter with a few passes through carbon sponges was my best option along with the protein skimmer.

I am new to this though, (setting up my first SW tank) so really interested in any suggestions

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

DaveK

A wet/dry filter is not a good choice on most reef systems. The problem is because they are so good at reducing ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate. This means that they tend to be massive nitrate factories, and you tend to get algae problems.In addition the biomedia can clog thus making the filter a big dirt trap that can't be easily cleaned. As I mentioned in my previous post, you really don't need this biomedia if you have enough live rock,

In my opinion carbon sponges are just about worthless as a filter media. If you want to use carbon you want to get the high quality granular material and use it in a filter bag on in a reactor. Most people that use carbon only use it from time to time. Typically this is one a week or one a month. Some people do not use carbon at all. Since you have a skimmer, that will remove most of the things that tend to discolor your water. I only run carbon on my own system once and awhile.

I'd replace the wet/dry section with filter socks so you get good, easily changed, mechanical filtration. If you want carbon, add a carbon reactor into the return line of your pump.