Discussion about shipping fish

Lee

So I'm a little concerned about this, and I wanted to get other people's input.

Until this point, I had purchased all of my fish from local fish stores. When I put them into quarantine, they are usually spooked for a little while, and like to hide a lot, but they otherwise act the way you'd expect a marine fish to act.

On Friday, I ordered a fish from an online retailer only because they are very rare and I haven't been able to find one elsewhere. Before I tell you about this, I'll say that I've helped a friend who used to run a LFS unload shipments in the past. The fish arrive in boxes marked LIVESTOCK, LIVE FISH, FRAGILE, etc. The boxes even had PICTURES of fish on the box, so that people of any nationality could recognize that this box should be handled extremely gently. The fish were in bags with lots of water and room to move around, like when you buy a fish from a store. When loading these fish into their holding tanks at the LFS, they were usually very spooked, but nothing out of the ordinary. They were typically very actively swimming for cover when removed from their bags.

So I get this fish overnighted from Florida, and the FedEx driver hands me an unmarked cardboard box with Saturday delivery stickers all over it. Absolutely no mention of the fragility of the contents. The box had a shipping label, and 5 stickers saying "Saturday Delivery." It was otherwise blank. This woman could have picked up a freakin black magic marker and written FRAGILE on the box and it would have taken her six seconds. Instead she did nothing. My level of concern/skepticism rose about 8 notches.
:down:

I cut open the Styrofoam container, remove some newspaper padding, and find a bag approximately 5" wide filled with roughly 20oz of water, and a 4" long fish laying sideways, flattened from the weight of the unfilled plastic bag crushing him, unable to move, clinging to life with every last breath. He was almost completely white. (which is not his native color) Imagine picking up a fish at a LFS, then draining out about 75% of the water in the bag and setting the bag down. The bag would flatten due to the lack of water. This is what I was looking at, only with a big beautiful fish wedged in it.
:down: :down:

So I cut open the bag and floated it in the QT and watched in horror as he laid on his side flapping his fins and breathing heavy. Out of fear for his life, I had to skip the drip-acclimation process and just added some tank water to his bag after a few minutes of floating it, simply because there was no water in his bag! When I finally let him out after 15 minutes or so, he fell to the bottom of the tank and laid there on his side for about 3-4 hours. Due to the nature of his packaging, I was very concerned that he had sustained some injuries, and thats why he was laying flat on his side. I've never seen a fish arrive in this condition before at the LFS. Probably because those shippers actually MARK THEIR PACKAGES so as to avoid the FedEx factory workers from punting your box across their warehouse.
:down: :down: :down:

At this point, I got a delivery confirmation email, signaling to the seller that I had received the fish, and the DOA guarantee was fulfilled unless I called them ASAP. Meanwhile, I have a super-rare, $100 fish going comatose in my quarantine tank. My concern for the fish's health FAR outweighed my concern for the potentially wasted money, but regardless, what could I do? If I call her and say he's DOA, what if he survives? Then I have two fish who can't co-exist peacefully and I would be doing them a disservice, or I wait and possibly lose the fish and go to battle with the seller later on...
:down: :down: :down: :down:

So I'd like to hear your opinions on this, as well as your experiences with having fish delivered to you. Again, my main concerns were: 1) lack of markings on box, 2) small bag for largish fish, and 3) lack of water in the bag, 4) Exotic beauty arriving shocked, frightened, near comatose. I'm probably going to write this woman a letter to address my concerns, and the TONE of said letter will depend on the input I get here...

Lee

On a lighter note, the fish has since gone upright, and has done a little bit of swimming. He even went up to the surface to eat a little flake food I fed him, which is a good sign. I gave him a little shrimp, and he ate a couple chunks that floated past him. He's still mostly sitting on the floor in the corner, but he has demonstrated his ability to swim, so my concerns that he was severely injured have diminished somewhat

framerguy

Hmmm, I have never had those kinds of trouble. I have ordered from Marine depot live, Drs Foster and Smith, Pacific east aquaculture, and one other unreputable source. The only one I had trouble with was the unreputable one (can't remember name now). The other three mentioned have been top notch! With triple bagged, well insulated, lots of water, well marked boxes, etc.

lcstorc

I too have had much better success from ordering on-line. There is usually quite a bit of water and air in the bags and there are tripple or more bags packed in a stryofoam cooler just big enough for the bags to stand upright or packed in newspaper so they stayed upright. Once the package was marked live fish so many times that my local driver kept the box up front with her so "the fish wouldn't get a headache". I was really amused but also pleased.

Sorry you had such an awful experience. Not all on-line vendors are created equal.

PEMfish

I would call it in as dead. You have to make a prediction of weather its going to live, or die. And if dieing is a large possibility, and hasn't happened yet, its safe to call it in as dead. Because if it dose die, then it all works out fine ( the same as if it arrived dead ). But if it doesn't die, and you have two fish, or a refund for the one fish, then that shows them. Its there loss, and that loss is not fault of a misjudgment on your part, but poor shipping practices on theres. Make sense?

prow

man that sucks. what place was this that you ordered?

i have ordered from a few and never had issues like that. i would for sure call them and let them know. tell them you got the fish in a almost waterless bag, its barely alive. let them know you want to try to save it but its not looking good. if they are halfway decent they will still give you credit if it dies in the next few days.

i like Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums the best, IMO, 14day stay alive guarantee that LFS cant match. 30day on captive grown stuff. they ship well and have there own acclimation proccess, an outstanding one, before they put them up forsale. got a chance to tour their facility in Wisconsin and here in L.A. i highly recommend them. if i am looking for hard to find fish, esp if pricey thats were i go. any of the sponsers here are good too, i have used many of them.

Lee

man that sucks. what place was this that you ordered?

*edit* - until I hear back from the seller, I'm going to withhold their name. I feel I should give them the opportunity to make good on this situation. But I will say that they are an eBay seller with outstanding feedback, almost 2400 positives and only 16 negatives.

I generally wouldn't order from anyone other than Fosters and Smith, or the other mega shops, but its an African Yellow Belly Hippo Tang, and they are extremely rare, never to be seen at LiveAquaria.com.

goldenmean

What did you do order this fish off of ebay? or some other small mom and pop retailer?
I would me much more concerned with the way the fish was packaged in the bag and the bag in the box than rather if the box was marked Live Fish all over it. I dont think some package handlers would care one way or another.

Good Luck with your fish.
I hope he pulls through.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Even with markings on the box, I guarantee you shipping companies are not gentle with the packages! With that being said the lack of water in the bag and smallish size of the bag is inexcusable. I'm sure when this fish was packaged, it was done so with care, but something went wrong after it left the vendor.

My suggestion would be to communicate with the vendor ASAP and explain your concerns without being accusatory, remember the shipping company could have been very rough with the package causing it to deflate and lose water or during shipping the box shifted or fell from some height. Tell them that you are concerned about the fishes long term survival even though it seems like it may recover. Being pleasant and understanding will get you further than being accusatory and unfriendly.

Lee

What did you do order this fish off of ebay? or some other small mom and pop retailer?
I would me much more concerned with the way the fish was packaged in the bag and the bag in the box than rather if the box was marked Live Fish all over it. I dont think some package handlers would care one way or another.

Good Luck with your fish.
I hope he pulls through.

I was searching for a specific fish, and found it on eBay, called the seller. They have over 3500 pieces of positive feedback in the past 12 months. Thats pretty outstanding.

prow

is that feedback mostly on fish sales or on other things, dry goods and stuff? either way they should make good on it. have you tried the email in stock alerts at Dr. Fros? i have seen those tangs there from time to time. could try that if this does work out in you getting the fish you want.
one thing though dont buy from a online seller without a 10-15day alive guarantee anymore:D.

Lee

is that feedback mostly on fish sales or on other things, dry goods and stuff? either way they should make good on it. have you tried the email in stock alerts at Dr. Fros? i have seen those tangs there from time to time. could try that if this does work out in you getting the fish you want.
one thing though dont buy from a online seller without a 10-15day alive guarantee anymore:D.

Almost all livestock.

Lee

sounds like at least they will make things right. how is the fish doing?

He's doing ok... He's not moving a lot. Mostly just sitting in the corner, but he is breathing well. Absolutely gorgeous fish.

Lee

Well I sent them an email and received a phone call within 5 minutes.

She told me that in their experiences, they basically had HIGHER death rates with boxes marked as having live fish. (which actually doesn't surprise me with all things considered - human nature and all) And she was very taken back by my description of the bagging. She explained that they have very strict policies involved in bagging fish for transport, including highly oxygenated water, and oxygen to fill the bag 80/20, and triple bagging Surgeonfish so they don't cut the bags open with their sharp knives on their butts. So it sounds like the bagged conditions worsened during the trip, and not before. She also said that they don't do a strict 15 day guarantee because basically they get too many customers who've never heard of "quarantine" or "acclimation." Which is understandable, considering they are not a mega huge company. She was very sincere, and offered to do whatever it takes depending on what happens, so I feel much better.

And thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

prow

sweet good deal, at least you dont have to worry about being out the money and focus on the fish. karma for you and your fish, hope it pulls through. normal breathing is a great sign. O hey, you do know, as soon as you can, we need pics, right? :D

rmlevasseur

I'm glad this worked out for you. I have had some good experiences with online vendors, and some bad ones. I've made a personal decision not to buy online anymore though. You just can't replace viewing the animal before the purchase.

naperenterprise

I deal't with them many times... Great people... One time Fedex lost the package and it came one day late, all my hermit crabs were dead.

It was over $100 order and they replaced my whole shipment with no question.

I give them a very high rating.

p.s. - I saw the name of the people you dealt with before you made the edit...

I'm sure they will fix the situation.