discouraged...

cindyp

WOW BigJay, I want one!!!! it looks like I would have more control of the food. I will order one .Thanks:bigbounce

funkpolice

I was going to suggest one of jay's feeders to give you better control. If I'm very careful I can feed my suns and dendrophyllia without any extra mysis in the water, but I have a lot of lps, so a little floating around doesn't hurt. Overfeeding doesn't cause the algae bloom, it's overfeeding dead things thats the problem. If you can find sources of live food you can feed a lot more.
bill

cindyp

yeah Im gonna order Jay's invention today cause using my turkey basters like feeding an ant with a blow torch.

Jason25

Hang in there as everyone said it will be OK. I just lost all of my corals a month ago due to a broken heater and 99% my own stupidty. It took me a month of sulking before I got off my butt and got my tank back in order. I think Jay put it best, anything you put that much time and care into is bound to give you fits. It will be fine just remember sometimes despite our best efforts we will fail at some things, this is true all through life.

vdituri

You are on the right path Cindy.

You realize that you may be overfeeding.
Step 1. Admitting you are an overfeeder. :D

Sun corals are hard. The half bottle cover with the turkey baster through the neck is probably the easiest target feeder.

Keep in mind that brown diatoms are not bad for your reef. Just not very appealing to the eye.

smkndrgn142

I've been in this hobby for more than a decade and it still drives me crazy. I'm still learning too, which is probably why I keep it up. But no matter how bad it gets, one day you'll find yourself staring into your tank and you'll know that every little headache (and some of the big ones) were worth it!

l3fty999

Hey, I just wanted to say I've been there too... I recently lost several animals, including all my shrimp, (fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and banded coral shrimp), my foxface, some of my blue-green chromis, some damsels, (now you KNOW is was bad) and many others. This hobby is very therapeutic for me, my kid's mother abandoned us several months ago, and I'm raising 3 kids on my own(they love my reef) and I'm making hefty house payments on my own... but this hobby is so relaxing when you can just sit in front of your tank and just stare and relax... that's why it hurt so much when it crashed. So you see, I feel your pain. I think about the individual animals that would interact with me and I could even hand feed some of them. Well, I was pretty attached.

Take care and good luck
Aaron