Discouraged...

evallarta1

I just lost my PBT this morning to ich. I lost my Lemon Butterfly fish to ich about 2 weeks ago. One of my clowns is laying on the bottom of my tank ( I have never seen him do that before). I think in the year of trying out saltwater I have lost more fish then I have kept alive. I know saltwater is different then fresh but holy crap I didnt know it was this bad. I am almost at the point where Im going to give up, take down the tank and sell everything. I have ALWAYS wanted a saltwater tank, and now that I have one its kickin my ass. Its really hard to enjoy something when your always worried your going to find something wrong. Dunno what to do. Thanks for listenin.

Midnight

If you have one fish with Ich then everyone in the tank is going to get it. The only way to get it out of your tank is take all the fish out and QT them. I lost a PBT and a clown to ich to and I know it feels. Go to the search and type in ich there are several good threads on ich and how to treat it. Good luck

sonicfish

have you been using a qt for your fish to make sure ick couldnt spread like it did i was stupin in my first 5 months in the saltwater world and didnt use a qt things were fine intill i added one more fish and it had ick and game over.

evallarta1

Well I came back from shopping and the clown is doing better. Hes swimming around a bit and doing his thing so I feel better. As for the ich issue I know what I NEED to do and what I DID do. I know I needed a QT but I dont. Its now the next thing on the list of things to get. I was treating the ich with metonidazole and aminomega. I know what I need to do its just frustrating.

Witfull

take a deep breath, relax and go slow....one step at a time. hes doing better. this is good.

blue_eyes53813

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with ick... This hobby can be both rewarding and very disheartening at times.. Im sure you have been trying to figure out how to get rid of the ick in the tank. How many fish do you have left? It is best to let the tank go fishless for 6-8 weeks so the ick spores will die off,, they will starve without fish to feed off of. If you have a qt it would be best to put them in there and treat them.. Ick can lay dormant in fish. May seem it is gone and slowly kill the fish. Once again I am sorry you are having so much trouble.. I hope you can get it under control soon.

evallarta1

Thanks for the input guys. Ive been watching the tank and none of the other fish LOOK like they have ich. Im going to watch it for a while. I dont think Im going to take down the tank. I am going to take a break and just let it do its thing for a couple of weeks before I start doing anything else. Thanks for the encouragement!

jeremyault

I just went through a similar situation. I lost 3 fish because I didn't quarantine 1. It sucked to learn the hard way, but now I have 2 quarantine tanks ready to go. I won't ever add a fish again without quarantine.

sonicfish

i dont put fish in my display tank without a 1 month quarrintien little exiseve but i think it works corals only 2 to three days dont have enough light to keep them that long

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
IMO those 2 fish are not a Beginner fish for someone who has never kept a SW tank. PBT are ICH magnets and require a very healthy Stable system with no temp swings or anything.

Even with a QT system you are going to lose fish. Do your homework and make sure the fish is healthy before purchase.

And it's completly false to state "if one fish gets ich they will all get it" not true at all. I have systems with 20+ fish and only 1 would have ich and usually it would be a Tang.

Also people stress over Ich and the way some people go about treating it is more stressful then the ich itself.