Diodogorgia nodulifera polyps extension mystery

Basile

I didn't know where to put this thread maybe the mod can help me here thank.

I have a Diodogorgia nodulifera

Photo804.jpg

The red dots are where the white polyps retracts . When the branch is not healthy they disapear and the branch waste away.

Photo681.jpg

here you see a few guards polyps on duty , that measure particule concentration, if present they'll entend and soon the others will open.

Photo684.jpg

That in theory goes with strong flows; However!!!!

I was doing my 3 month cleaning of my powerheads ; this is by the way a new tank and its my first time cleaning my system since its new.

Vinegar and baking soda

Photo034-3.jpg

Photo032-2.jpg

Photo033-2.jpg

Photo031-4.jpg

Photo035-3.jpg

Then i've put back the powerhead and i hadn't dosed for 5 days because of other issues. The polyps had stayed open, but as soon as i took the powerhead out, they closed. and when i've put them back within 2 hours they were all open again. So the flow but also the movement of the branch seem to be a stimulus for the polyps to open even if food may or may not be present. since i hadn't fed.

I feed

UltraminS.jpg

UltraminF.jpg

Ultraminseafan.jpg

reefroids4_1.jpg

So the question is ; Does direct flow , movement of the gorgonian alone in particular would be sufficient to make the polyps extend regardless of particule concentration

Oxylebius

I have found with my gorgonian that current definitely helps determine if the polyps are out or not. I've moved it around and when it is in current they are out, when it is in little flow and stay retracted (even up to a week, until I moved it again). Right now it is in a location where more current is moving across the bottom of it and the polyps are always extended, but the top of it is not getting as much current and they are rarely extended....I need to move it again.

It seems to me the rocks around it would hinder water current for it.

Is yours really upside down?

Basile

I have found with my gorgonian that current definitely helps determine if the polyps are out or not. I've moved it around and when it is in current they are out, when it is in little flow and stay retracted (even up to a week, until I moved it again). Right now it is in a location where more current is moving across the bottom of it and the polyps are always extended, but the top of it is not getting as much current and they are rarely extended....I need to move it again.

It seems to me the rocks around it would hinder water current for it.

Is yours really upside down?

Thanks for posting , yes mine is upside down lol. i wanted to put it like i saw it in caves, and since i have a stalactite why not. And with a swif current she does have her polyps open 24/7 except when she catches something.

Photo805.jpg

Photo793.jpg

Photo791.jpg

Photo795.jpg