Dingo's tank

Dingo

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
EXXXXXXXXPENSIIIIIIIVVVVVE!

SShhhhh! You trying to get me busted?

Lunchbucket's tank is simply amazing. Soon it will be a solid cube of coral.

I started out thinking that I would get a 70W DE bulb, but I thought, "I don't want to bother with protective glass". Then I thought," So maybe I should go with a 175W SE bulb". Then I thought,"Well, a 250 is the same price as a 175, and I can still use it when/if I move it to a bigger tank". Then I thought,"If I get a 400w, my water will boil and the tank will explode. Cool!" Then I thought,"My wife might not like that as much as me." , so I stuck with the 250.

Cougra

WOW, really nice tank. How do you keep the temperature constant with such a small volume of water and powerful light? I would have thought that would be a sentence for cronic overheating issues.

Dingo

I have an open back on the hood, and a single 5" ThermalTake PC box fan bolted to the back blowing on the bulb. With that setup, my lighting actually cools off the tank, as opposed to the heating that I used to get with the PC fixture. My heater is set to 81 deg. With a 96W PC fixture, the temperature would rise to 83 or 83.5 degrees. With the MH setup, my temp will drop from 81 to 80.5 degrees. And the heater fights to keep it there.

I have an advantage in that the tank is in my basement where it stays pretty cool.

In fact, I almost borked my tank by leaving the fan on without the light. The temperature dropped from 80.5 down to 77 before I noticed. That's why I say that my heater is undersized.

Dracunculus

I started out thinking that I would get a 70W DE bulb, but I thought, "I don't want to bother with protective glass". Then I thought," So maybe I should go with a 175W SE bulb". Then I thought,"Well, a 250 is the same price as a 175, and I can still use it when/if I move it to a bigger tank". Then I thought,"If I get a 400w, my water will boil and the tank will explode. Cool!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Beautiful tank. And here I was thinking that I would be the only one to think that would be cool too. Just would hate to have to clean up the mess (and also be sure not to be within shrapnel range when it did blow). If you ever change your mind, please be sure to post some nice pics ;)

Maxx

Then I thought,"Well, a 250 is the same price as a 175, and I can still use it when/if I move it to a bigger tank".
like what...a twelve gallon??? Or where you gonna go crazy and get a 20?
LOL...I'm only teasing cause I have a 20 H w/ a single 175 over it, and some people I know were trying to tell me that I have too much light.
your tank looks really good though...ever wonder what it would look like w/ a 1000 watter over it???????
Nick

Dingo

Well, I've been to Costa Rica and gotten a sunburn. I can state authoritatively that My light isn't as strong as that, so I'm not worried,

And it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

birdman204

Pocilipora looks good dingo. I feel ya on the breeding stomatellas. Some people dont have em and can't buy em, I've got them breeding like rabbits in mine:p

Dingo

Thanks, Bird.

Kealini rock or something like that. I've got a serious mental block on the rock name. People have even told me before and I keep losing it. :columbo: