Digitate hydroids

aropfor1

I started out with a couple of digitate hydroids in my tank now they have more than doubled. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these? I have heard they can be bad for the tank. They are only on 1 rock for now. Dont want them to spread. Thanks!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
They can spread alright. Can you remove the rock and scrub the hydroid off?

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

redneckgearhead

I'm not sure how you would scrub off Digitates. But if it is only on one rock then pull the rock, if you can, and let it dry out for a while. Are they like single little strings floating in the current after lights out, or are they "feather duster" in appearance. I believe that Digitates are the single little strings and colonial are the feather duster type.

Either way I would pull the rock if possible, but I have read that Digitates will disappear as quickly as they appear. (I have them and have done some reading)

aropfor1

Yes they are single string like creatures that come out at night. Sometimes they come out and grab food during feeding. I tried to tweeze one off the rock but it just came back.

aropfor1

OK guys, I am still fighting this problem. I removed the rock and boiled it back in September. I thought I got rid of the problem. However, I have noticed these things popping up everywhere. I am really worried! Its not on just one rock now. I am supposed to receive my RSM 130d this week and was planning on moving everything into it. I have read mixed info on these hydroids. Do I need to be worried or do I just make the move?