**Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper**

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I wanted to start a thread for those of you with Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper1 or Reefkeeper2 controllers.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions can be posted here!!

I currently have a RK1 and RK2 that have worked wonderfully for me! Super easy to set up and operate not to mention the customer service at DA is superb!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
ReefKeeper2

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Digital Aquatics 2006[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ReefKeeper 2 ($270.00) - [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]pH probe sold seperately[/FONT]​

RK2_UI.jpg

pH Monitoring and Control – New!
The ReefKeeper’s pH feature allows the user to monitor pH to 0.01 resolution. A channel can be linked to the pH measurement to control devices that raise and lower pH. All common pH probes are supported and an easy calibration will ensure an accurate reading. Purchase the pH probe separately on our online store.
Upgradeable Firmware with Free PC Cable Adapter – New!
Customers will be able to update their unit when new software features are released. The serial cable adapter is included with the RK2 system and the firmware update program will be available for free download whenever new software is released. To perform an update you simply press the "Go" button on the firmware update program. Then the program auto-detects the serial port and performs the upload, it's that easy!​

updater.jpg

BLUE Backlight LCD & LEDs (with dimming!) – New!
The ReefKeeper 2 now comes with an even sleeker design employing a blue backlit LCD, blue status LEDs and a black overlay background all standard. Users can set the brightness to 25%, 50%, 75% & 100% as desired.
Manual Override – New!
Each channel has a manual override to allow for quickly turning on/off channels when working with your tank or if you just need to activate your lights for an unexpected visitor.
Digital Light Timer
A light timer can programmed with an on and off time in 15 minute increments. Some or all of the channels can be programmed to be a timer. New! – Lights can now be programmed to turn off when the temperature exceeds a set value.
Night Mode - Independently Programmable – New!
Night mode can be configured independent of your light configuration so that moonlights can be configured to be on at night. You can also disable night mode altogether if desired.
General Purpose Timers – New!
General purpose timers allow for a single channel to turn on/off multiple times in a day, or provide an oscillate feature for things like top-off, etc. that you might want to turn on every so often throughout the day (independent of wavemaking).
Wavemaker (with softstart)
There are 3 wavemaker cycles in the ReefKeeper, cycles A, B and C. When a channel is designated as a powerhead a cycle must be chosen for that channel. Cycles A/B alternate opposite each other, while cycle C alternates on and off independently. Under the wavemaker setup you choose how long you want each cycle time to be by dialing an A/B cycle time and a C cycle time. In normal operation an ‘A’, ‘B’ and/or ‘C’ is displayed on the LCD to indicate which cycle is on. During night mode the cycle times double creating a calmer environment. You can also program individual channels to be off during night mode if desired.
Softstart
Softstart is a much debated issue in the aquarium community; many argue about whether or not it even exists. The reality is that both camps are right in some way. Softstart does exist, however, it isn’t practical or cost- effective to implement perfectly. Digital Aquatics does implement “softer-start” for all channels. This is done to reduce the “clanking” of the impeller when a powerhead is turned on. Put Digital Aquatics to the test! The way to judge a product’s softstart capability is to listen to the pump when it turns on; there is always some clanking, but the goal is to reduce it as much as possible. Digital Aquatics tested many other products and has implemented what it feels is the best performing softstart available. Also, powerhead design is improving over time and pumps like the MaxiJet brand last much longer than some others.
Standby/Feed mode
Standby mode can be programmed to be from 1 to 99 minutes long. When the “Standby” (top) button is pressed the ReefKeeper turns off the powerheads and sump pumps that are programmed to be off during standby mode for the set time or until “Standby” is pressed again. Standby/Feed mode helps reduce the bio load on the tank by maximizing the food eaten by fish and corrals and minimizing waist. Food will not get whisked away into the sump filter and to dead spots in your tank. Standby mode is also useful when it is time to perform maintenance on your tank and you need all the water pumps to be temporarily turned off.
Digital thermometer & dual-stage temp control (temp probe included)
The ReefKeepers digital thermometer is a reliable temperature sensor that is digitally filtered to provide accurate readings. Using the temperature measured the ReefKeeper controls one or more heaters and fan/chillers. The thermometer can be calibrated by the user so that near perfect (0.1 degree resolution) accuracy can be achieved from year to year.
Fan/Chiller control
The ReefKeeper turns on chillers and/or fans when the temperature in the tank exceeds a limit. Most aquarists don’t want to listen to their hood fans when then don’t need to. The ReefKeeper allows the fans to be off unless they are needed to keep the water temperature down. This way you only have your fans on when you absolutely need them. A temperature limit can be chosen for the fan/chiller in 0.1 degree increments.
Metal halide “sure-on”
Metal halides lights are notorious for not turning back on after a power interruption. This is because they cannot be lit when they are still hot. The ReefKeeper’s Sure-On feature detects power interruptions and allows a metal halide bulb to cool before turning back on. Since the ReefKeeper has an internal battery it will always be able to keep time and settings despite power interruptions of any length. If a metal halide channel is being held off by Sure-on after a power interruption, the LED associated to that channel will blink until the metal halide channel is turned on again.
8 programmable channels (No need for separate X-10 devices)
The 8 controlled outlets are built into the ReefKeeper making it easy to install and setup. No separate X-10 devices are needed to be purchased and setup, which saves aquarists time, space and money. The power controller is very compact for an 8 channel controller and mounting is very easy.
New! - 2 of the 8 channels (Ch 4 & 8) are traditional relays best used for light ballasts. Some ballasts do not light reliably with triacs (switches used in most controller products). This provides users with maximum flexibilty
New! - Channels 1 & 5 are offset to provide space that supports wall power adapters that sometimes come with fans. This avoids the need to run extra extension cords around your system which keeps you wiring clean.​

power_controller.jpg

Easier Fuse accessibility
The 15A fuse is now accessible without taking off the cover off the device. It is also a standard easy to find size ? x 1 ? inch.
Resistive or inductive loads
The ReefKeeper can control resistive (heaters) or inductive (pumps and ballasts) loads and still supply 6A of power.
Microprocessor design
The ReefKeeper has an embedded microprocessor to enable advanced features like softstart, night mode, “Sure-On” and temperature functions on different types of channels, plus much more. It drives the LCD menu system for easy setup. It also reads water temperature, digitally filtering it to provide stable and accurate readings.
Display box can mount flush to cabinet for professional look
The display unit has two mounting options to accommodate different configurations. It can be mounted flush to your hood/cabinet for a sleek look by cutting out a rectangle. It can also be mounted easily to any flat surface. The outlet box mounts to a flat surface.
High power design: 15A total power, 6A per channel
A maximum of 15A can be supplied by the ReefKeeper, and each of the 8 channels can supply 6A (as long as the total current is less than 15A). A heavy duty power cord and a fused supply provides the safety that is needed for home use.​

Woodstock

RS STAFF
ReefKeeper2 (Concl.)

See more details on the Expansion Socket for higher power requirements

User optically isolated from AC power
The power switches use optically isolated controllers to provide the highest level of safety in a water environment.
Splash proof face plate
The front of the remote display has a custom faceplate so that a little water on it doesn’t cause any problems. The unit menu system can be navigated with wet hands without any problems.
Internal backup battery for clock and settings
The internal battery will last for years keeping the time and settings of the ReefKeeper. The battery also allows power interruptions to have little effect on the system which is especially important when you are gone for days at a time. A power outage will not require the adjustments that to traditional light timers need after the power is restored.
Simple menu system for easy configuration
The menu system is an easy-to-use interface that allows you to setup the ReefKeeper to meet your specific needs. The 3 buttons to the right of the display are used to navigate through the menu for setting up which features you want to link to which outlets and other setup.​

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Reefkeeper 1 (no longer in production)

Digital Aquatics 2006

Although the Reefkeeper1 is no longer being produced, I wanted to post this info for those that are already using this model.

rk.jpg
Digital Light Timer
• A light timer can programmed with an on and off time in 15 minute increments. Some or all of the channels can be programmed to be a timer.
Wavemaker (with softstart)
• There are 3 wavemaker cycles in the ReefKeeper, cycles A, B and C. When a channel is designated as a powerhead a cycle must be chosen for that channel. Cycles A/B alternate opposite each other, while cycle C alternates on and off independently.
• Under the wavemaker setup you choose how long you want each cycle time to be by dialing an A/B cycle time and a C cycle time.
• In normal operation an ‘A’, ‘B’ and/or ‘C’ is displayed on the LCD to indicate which cycle is on.
• During night mode the cycle times double creating a calmer environment. You can also program individual channels to be off during night mode if desired.
Softstart
• Softstart is a much debated issue in the aquarium community; many argue about whether or not it even exists. The reality is that both camps are right in some way. Softstart does exist, however, it isn’t practical or cost- effective to implement perfectly. Digital Aquatics does implement “softer-start” for all channels. This is done to reduce the “clanking” of the impeller when a powerhead is turned on. Put Digital Aquatics to the test! The way to judge a product’s softstart capability is to listen to the pump when it turns on; there is always some clanking, but the goal is to reduce it as much as possible. Digital Aquatics tested many other products and has implemented what it feels is the best performing softstart available. Also, powerhead design is improving over time and pumps like the MaxiJet brand last much longer than some others.
Feed mode
• Feed mode can be programmed to be from 1 to 20 minutes long. When the “Feed” (top) button is pressed the ReefKeeper turns off all powerheads and sump pumps for the set time or until “Feed” is pressed again. Feed mode helps reduce the bio load on the tank by, maximizing the food eaten by fish and corrals and minimizing waist. Food will not get whisked away into the sump filter and to dead spots in you tank.
• Feed mode is also useful when it is time to perform maintenance on your tank and you need all the water pumps to be temporarily turned off.
Night mode
• The ReefKeeper goes into night mode when all light channels are turned off. When in night mode the wavemaker cycles double creating a calmer night environment. Also, each powerhead can be programmed to be off during night mode.
Digital thermometer and temp control (temp probe included)
• The ReefKeepers digital thermometer is a reliable temperature sensor that is digitally filtered to provide accurate readings. Using the temperature measured the ReefKeeper controls one or more heaters and fan/chillers.
• The thermometer can be calibrated by the user so that near perfect (0.1 degree resolution) accuracy can be achieved from year to year.
Fan/Chiller control
• The ReefKeeper turns on chillers and/or fans when the temperature in the tank exceeds a limit. Most aquarists don’t want to listen to their hood fans when then don’t need to. The ReefKeeper allows the fans to be off unless they are needed to keep the water temperature down. This way you only have your fans on when you absolutely need them. A temperature limit can be chosen for the fan/chiller in 0.1 degree increments.
Metal halide “sure-on”
• Metal halides lights are notorious for not turning back on after a power interruption. This is because they cannot be lit when they are still hot. The ReefKeeper’s Sure-On feature detects power interruptions and allows a metal halide bulb to cool before turning back on. Since the ReefKeeper has an internal battery it will always be able to keep time and settings despite power interruptions of any length.
• If a metal halide channel is being held off by Sure-on after a power interruption, the LED associated to that channel will blink until the metal halide channel is turned on again.
8 programmable channels (No need for separate X-10 devices)
• The 8 controlled outlets are built into the ReefKeeper making it easy to install and setup. No separate X-10 devices are needed to be purchased and setup, which saves aquarists time, space and money. The power controller is very compact for an 8 channel controller and mounting is very easy.
Resistive or inductive loads
• The ReefKeeper can control resistive (heaters) or inductive (pumps and ballasts) loads and still supply 6A of power.
Microprocessor design
• The ReefKeeper has an embedded microprocessor to enable advanced features like softstart, night mode, “Sure-On” and temperature functions on different types of channels, plus much more. It drives the LCD menu system for easy setup. It also reads water temperature, digitally filtering it to provide stable and accurate readings.
Display box can mount flush to cabinet for professional look
• The display unit has two mounting options to accommodate different configurations. It can be mounted flush to your hood/cabinet for a sleek look by cutting out a rectangle. It can also be mounted easily to any flat surface. The outlet box mounts to a flat surface.
High power design: 15A total power, 6A per channel
• A maximum of 15A can be supplied by the ReefKeeper, and each of the 8 channels can supply 6A (as long as the total current is less than 15A). A heavy duty power cord and a fused supply provides the safety that is needed for home use.
User optically isolated from AC power
• The power switches use optically isolated controllers to provide the highest level of safety in a water environment.
Splash proof face plate
• The front of the remote display has a custom faceplate so that a little water on it doesn’t cause any problems. The unit menu system can be navigated with wet hands without any problems.
Internal backup battery for clock and settings
• The internal battery will last for years keeping the time and settings of the ReefKeeper. The battery also allows power interruptions to have little effect on the system which is especially important when you are gone for days at a time. A power outage will not require the adjustments that to traditional light timers need after the power is restored.
Simple menu system for easy configuration
• The menu system is a simple to use interface that allows you to setup the ReefKeeper to meet your specific needs. The 3 buttons to the right of the display are used to navigate through the menu for setting up which features you want to link to which outlets and other setup.

Warnberg

I have one and have had no issues, however mine came with 2.0 firmware version. Has anyone done the update? I am a little leary about updating (if it ain't broke why fix it).

elmexotics

i just had the privilege of setting one up at my local LFS and all I can say is WOW!!! The unit was way to easy to set up. I ordered one for my 125 cube.

KodiakBear

Tagging along as I see one of these in my future.:snshne:

I have one and have had no issues, however mine came with 2.0 firmware version. Has anyone done the update? I am a little leary about updating (if it ain't broke why fix it).

:stars:I tend to live by the creed, "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is" :explode:

Komisar

I'm just getting back in the hobby after a 10+ year layoff. This looks like a very useful tool. Will this work with any powerheads, or do you have any recommendations of which powerheads this would work best with. I have a AGA 120RR on order and I'm just starting my equiptment list so my options are wide open. I am interested in a fish and softy tank.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Komisar!! :)

The controller will turn off/on anything, the question is, is the power head made to withstand the constant cycling of on/off?
With that said, I have used maxijet powerheads on it as a wave maker for a long time with no issues. I sometimes hear a CLIKING noise for a second when it starts but not always.

Kirblit

I have a RKII and the only issue that I have had with it is that heater channels get stuck on if there isn't an outlet that is constantly on. Scott at DA has only herd of a handful of cases like this and is working on a solution. The heaters will work fine for about 1-2 hours and then they will just stay on, no matter what the temp if you don't have a channel that is on all the time. I have my sump pump on one of the channels and it has completely fixed it until he comes up with a solution. Like I said it is a very limited problem that they were having problems recreating until recently. Scott also had me upgrade to version 2.4 because it eliminates the "clicking" sound when the heater goes on, off, on, off ..... to keep a set temp. In version 2.4 you can tell the controller when to turn on and when to turn off, example : on @ 78.5 off @ 78.8 so that as the temp flucuates .1 degrees the heater isn't going on and off rapidly for no reason. I think that it's a great product, good price, and they have some of the best customer service I have recieved ever!

Here is the thread on RC that I used to determine my problem with the heater:
Reef Central Online Community - ReefKeeper 2 Channel Stuck On!

buteos

Sweet, tagging along for the ride:)

Hello Kirby,
can the controller be directly plugged into a router? My wireless router is next to the tank and I was wondering if i get a phone to Ethernet adapter plug and plug it into the router would it work?
thanks for your time:)

Conrad

Kirblit

No I don't think that you would be able to make that work. Phone lines are 4 pin connectors and the cable that comes from the reef keeper is a 6 pin line. You can buy quite long lines for the 6 pin so that you could reach where you need to be. Another option would be for you to use a computer that would be connected to the router so that you could route it that way.

buteos

thanks brotha,

No I don't think that you would be able to make that work. Phone lines are 4 pin connectors and the cable that comes from the reef keeper is a 6 pin line. You can buy quite long lines for the 6 pin so that you could reach where you need to be. Another option would be for you to use a computer that would be connected to the router so that you could route it that way.

Triggerjay

One question I have.. Can you access the RK2 from the internet? I am looking into controllers at the moment, and would like one that I can access from the internet.... say,.... check my temp while at work... or change lighting timers remotley?.. I think the lighthouse controller can do this, but was wondering if the RK2 can as well? Thanks

Jason

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jason,
I'm not trying to steer you AWAY from RK2 but I do know that the Neptune ACIII and ACIII Pro both come with web access. When I build my monstor tank I'll be getting one of them for it so I can monitor and adjust the tank from anywhere in the world with internet access.

Allen :)