Diffusing LED light?

dgilbert2

A thought :hammerhead:

I have a StevesLEDs on my C130. I've noticed how close it is to the water compared to other systems and wondered if putting a light diffuser would help to even out the light for the corals? Corals high up in the tank must be under quite a tight light "spot" from each LED?

Last edited:

DaveK

This is something you get with most LED fixtures. Adding a diffuser will spread out the light, but it will also cut down on the total light.

This problem isn't as bad as it sounds. Over time, most corals can adapt to a wide range of lighting conditions. You start them in dimmer areas and slowly move them to the brighter areas. The other things you can to is set up your tank placing high light loving corals in the bright area.

If all else fails, you should be able to dim the LED lighting.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Diffusers reduce total light output an absolute minimum of 20%. I remember at one point in time we sourced out the finest high end diffusers, and they ended up looking much worse in side by side comparisons. They completely eliminated shimmer, stunting coral growth compared to straight LEDs.

Jeff

dgilbert2

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the thought of diffusers is best kept in my head. Was worth exploring though. :tumbleweed:

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Definitely worth exploring, however, just not worth the extra expense unfortunately. The only commercially available diffusers diffuse 100%. I think it would be a good idea if we can find a manufacturer who is willing to make one at say, a 20% diffusion level, just barely translucent. This would provide good blending without loosing any of the shimmer.

Jeff

DaveK

For me I would be quite happy to loose the shimmer as it does not do anything for the corals?

The shimmer is somewhat controversial. Some claim that those intense areas of light going over the corals do wonders for it. Others say it looks nice but doesn't do much. Problem is that there is no way to really test it out.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
A well known aquarist, Bud Carlson (Turbo's Aquatics Algae Scrubbers) has been using Steve's LEDs brand drivers for a little while now. He wrote this to us, to confirm that LED drivers are a bit unique, and ours grows photosynthetic algae quite well. I'm not saying this to promote our business, but to indicate to DaveK that there is a bit of truth behind shimmer growing both algae and corals better than no shimmer. Bud is talking about growing algae scrubbers (growing algae on screens for marine aquariums, which absorb nitrates, thus lowering nitrates in aquariums in an extremely natural and non-chemical way) here, to keep it in context :

"I'm starting to see a pattern with the users of the scrubbers with the
[Steve's LEDs] driver boards, compared to the ones that use the meanwells (in
combination with the new [Steve's LEDs] LED boards)

The ones using the [Steve's LEDs] drivers seem to get initial growth really quickly.

Initial growth of algae (starting out with a plain white screen that has
never seen water) can be inhibited by too much light (too intense) so
that's why I have, in the past, included a diffuser, then with the rev 1
LED board, the jumpers, and now the dimmer option.

But going from zero to green hair algae covering the whole screen,
that's unusual. To see it happen 3 times in a week, I've never seen this.

What might explain this is flashing [ultra high frequency, not visible to human eyes]. If you research algae growth and high-frequency flashing, you will find out that a guy did an experiment
that proved that you can get the same amount of photosynthetic
production by flashing light at a high rate (in this case, it was in the
KHz range) and then varying the "on" and "off" gap. It turns out that
you can provide "light" then a "dark" period that is 10 times longer
than the "light" period, and get the same photosynthetic production as
you can with no dark period (i.e. same "light" level, all the time).

What happens is there are two "buckets" or cycles, one is a light cycle,
one a dark cycle. The light cycle fills one bucket, and then the dark
cycle "empties" that so it can be re-filled. If you just keep trying to
"fill" the "light" bucket, it can only produce so much.

This is mimicked in the ocean and pools on a sunny day when you see the
lines of really intense light dancing all around - the waves and water
surface focuses the light into very intense bursts, or "shimmer" in
tanks with metal halide lights and LEDs. This has been very much
studied with respect to coral growth in tidepools.

So my theory, at this point, is that the high-frequency flashing "seen"
by the algae is allowing this light/dark cycle to occur. The spear in
this is that once a screen gets very mature, this doesn't seem to
matter, you just blast it with full intensity. But that might be due to
the fact that water passing over the top and passing through the mat of
algae growth causes the shimmer to occur."
-Bud Carlson

Hope that helps clarify shimmer isn't really just snake oil - proof is in the pudding.
Jeff

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
An eggcrate is considered a type of reflector. This also consumes about 10-20% of the total light output since the "ribs" take up quite a bit of surface area. This don't work well with LED because they actually enhance the disco effect - which causes color separation of the individual LED colors on the sandbed. I suppose you could say this is the opposite of a diffuser, which would blend the colors in together.

Hope that helps?
Jeff