Did I damage/ruin my Iwaki pump?

SemperSaint

I'm using an Iwaki MD-70RLZ pump for my return. I was getting a lot of microbubbles, so I decided to try clear flex hose to pull water from my sump. When I turned the pump on, the flex hose collapsed on itself and the pump kept sucking. I ran and turned off the pump, and went back to the PVC I was using previously. Now it seems that the pump does not push as much water volume as before. Is anyone familar with the internal components of a magnetic pump? Is there something inside that may be permanently damaged, or is it something that may be fixable? :doh:

Last edited:

Reddog170

I would say take it apart and clean it up real well. It is likley that you sucked something into the pump. I do not think you did any major damage. Shaun

Hornet

Are you hearing any rattling sounds. I have a magnetic drive panworld pump which I think is supposed to be very similar to the Iwaki pump. Last month I found myself in a similar situation where the pump sounded like it was running fine but it just was not pumping much water. Although I did not hear it constantly on occasion I would hear something rattling but it would seem to go away. I ended up taking the screws off the front of the pump and found that the vanes that move the water had snapped off. Sadly the prices I was quoted to replace vanes was close to what I paid for the pump so I ended up buying a new one :(

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Are you hearing any rattling sounds. I have a magnetic drive panworld pump which I think is supposed to be very similar to the Iwaki pump. Last month I found myself in a similar situation where the pump sounded like it was running fine but it just was not pumping much water. Although I did not hear it constantly on occasion I would hear something rattling but it would seem to go away. I ended up taking the screws off the front of the pump and found that the vanes that move the water had snapped off. Sadly the prices I was quoted to replace vanes was close to what I paid for the pump so I ended up buying a new one :(

I have an iwaki that occassionally makes a strange rattling noise. I can hear it loud and clear when I unplug the pump and as it slows, the sound is pronounced.
I guess I should take it apart to examine it! :cool:

SemperSaint

It seems to be running rather smoothly, but the water volume is noticably less. Nothing I do seems to make it airtight though. It still pumps microbubbles into the tank. It's really fine mist almost like cigarette smoke.