Diatom filters

SecretAgent

ok, I will go out now and get a few pictures. The pond plants havent taken over yet so it is a little bare. Once my Banana plants get up as tall as the lower deck, and the pond plants get established, then it will look like the paradise it always ends up being every summer....brb...

lcstorc

I know very little about the diatom filters but I know Paul B (with the 38 yr old tank) uses them. If I remember correctly he doesn't use one full time but uses them when he does a major cleaning.
I'll have to see what else I can dig up.

SecretAgent

Thanks for sharing that Lynn....:thumbup: Ive only been in this hobby a few years....going on 7, but there is still lots for me to know

SecretAgent

ok, pond pics..........

2007....first year broken down hot tub was turned into a Koi/Goldfish Pond

IMG_0225.jpg

2008 Pond.........

IMG_0266.jpg

Skippy Filter then...

IMG_0265.jpg

Skippy Filter Now

PondFilter.jpg

POND 2009

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

POND 2010 with fish actually out so they can be seen

IMG_0496.jpg

Pond1.jpg

Koi.jpg

Pond6.jpg

Lower Deck to Pond

Deck.jpg

SecretAgent

Its going to be even better once the plants come in and take off in growth, banana plants get taller than the lower deck railing and I add more goldfish to the pond. The banana plants are on each corner of the deck and one on the other side of the stairs coming from the lower deck.

In the pic below, on the right side midway down on the outside of the railing is a banana plant. Once it reaches full height, it will spill over the railing but not be in the way of coming down the stairs

As you look at the pic, the right corner has one plant each on either side of the corner, so that corner will be shaded by the plants once they get their 15 to 20 feet height. Then on the other corner of the deck is just one so the small steps leading off the decks to the walkway will be shaded.

Pics will come once they come in good. The banana plants are what is called Ice Cream bananas and are supposed to be the best tasting bananas out there. They supposedly have a vanilla taste and are sweeter than the typical ones bought in the stores.

Thanks Eric!

Funny how the pond is crystal clear but I cant get my SW tanks that way...lol....They are clear, just not crystal....not with that brat clown in them any way

Deck.jpg

SecretAgent

LOL! Dang Eric, Im just now noticing you changed avatars, yet again! What in the world? What the heck do you call THAT thing? LMAO! I do hope you dont hear that too much.................I was speaking of your avatar

SecretAgent

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Eric again."

:LOL:

Oooooohohhhhhh me.....I about died when I seen this come up after giving Eric some '"rep"....You guys here at RS are just too funny.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Lol that is some species of Toadfish, actually I just got a lap top and using my phone as a modem till tuesday but I can see what the site looks like again, for the past year + I have only had my phone and couldn't change much so I may be over doing it a little :)

I can't wait to see it grown in, just amazing what how can make a tranquil relaxing spot with some water and plants :)

Very jealous!

I'd rather here what the heck do you call that thing? Rather than oh! How cute! Lol sorry that was a little off :)

SecretAgent

HAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa!...Oh man! Poor you, have you had that said to you before? Actually it had me going the way you kept changing avatars, thats why I thought I was talking to another Eric, because when I first seen you on here, you had the yellow "thing" on avatar and then that crazy thing you had time before now, now you have a wart wart thing....interesting though because I dont think Ive ever seen anything so.....bumpy.....the avatar Eric, the avatar.....lol....

SecretAgent

Thanks for being such a character Eric....made me laugh so hard.....being so friendly and outgoing. Wheres the rest of RS? Show me so I can throw water balloons at 'em. Let go on a water balloon rampage and soak em all....LoL! Well, lets dont get Magnum and Lynn (lstorc) They stopped in so they have a safe badge. We gotta be all stealthy n stuff about this.........*sigh* Ahhhh the good old days when I used to go with a crowd that wasnt afraid to knock and run....Good times.....good time

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Thankfully neither of those statements have ever been said to me :) lol I'm gonna leave this one alone.... So that's a nice pond :p

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would say most are not checking out the thread because most don't know what a diatom filter is. Lol

That's an old school filter and I haven't seen one locally for years, I know they are still availible just not common any more, I assume cause it's not a full time filter and just a polisher.

We have gotten so far off topic as well :)

SecretAgent

I know, Im jess pickin.....Im still gonna spray someone though, just for old times sake

Diatom filters old school? Man! Where have I been! Geeez, is there a reef forum for old geezers like me to go where someone will know my equipment? Wow, I wouldnt have thought those would go out just because how I hear they are a quick way to polish water. Its not worked for me yet, but, well, you know....brat clowns? yeah, those.

Funny thing Eric....some goof has a thread up with some familiar words in the title...."Oh! How cute!" LMAO

Schwa

I have a system one pressure filter that is/was the best diatom filter. I say was/is as I think they have quit making it. They will not only pull fine particles out of your water but will also get rid of any free swimming parasites like ich and can help in the overall health of your tank. They are not meant to run more than a couple hours at a time as th emotors on them overheat and the powder will pull so much stuff out that the flow will stop completely. I have had great success with them on both FW and SW to clear any sandstorms created by diggers or having a power head break loose and hit the sand. Just a side note the powder is available at any pool store at a much reduced cost over the stuff that vortex sells as ultra pure its all the same.

SecretAgent

I had a pressure filter once and gave it away....Im always doing things like that. When will I learn? Probably never.

But anyway, the person I bought it from used carbon in it on a fresh water system. I never did use it, just ended up giving it away. If I had all the things Ive given away, I dont even want to think about it now....lol

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I know that feeling :) it's keep us in good karma, I'm a firm believer in the goes around comes around theory.