Diatom Filter

kdavies

While reading into some tank threads across the internet, I've seen a few tanks with Diatom filters. I've done minimal reading into these, but I thought i'd ask on here. Does anybody have any experience with these? If so, do they ACTUALLY work in removing diatom algae?

CPL376

I bought my first (of two) in 1979. I use it as a gravel vac. They work very good for that. I don't know about using them full time. Don't know it that helps at all but that's my experience with them.

I have a diatom filter on my pool (big one obviously lol) and it can clean up 15000 gallons of pea soup green water in a day or less. Major improvements in a few hours.

Downside: they are a pain to recharge with DE powder... they are really meant just for quick clean ups and not a full time filter.

DaveK

Diatom filters are a very fine mechanical filtration system. As pointed out by others they are great for mucking out a tank, and the like.

I never found them that hard to recharge with diatom powder once I added a bunch of valves to the intake and return lines to permit the precoating phase to happen quickly.

I figure I use mine about twice a year on my tanks. It's something nice to have, and makes things easier, but it's not critical.

Even the people that make Diatom filters don't recommend them for full time use.

Rhodes19

Diatom filters are a very fine mechanical filtration system. As pointed out by others they are great for mucking out a tank, and the like.

I never found them that hard to recharge with diatom powder once I added a bunch of valves to the intake and return lines to permit the precoating phase to happen quickly.

I figure I use mine about twice a year on my tanks. It's something nice to have, and makes things easier, but it's not critical.

Even the people that make Diatom filters don't recommend them for full time use.

+1

Ive used one for years on my FW systems and they work great at cleaning/polishing the water. I've never used it on my SW tanks and actually haven't read any posts that mention using them on SW (I'm sure they are). But, to your question as whether it would filter diatom algae, I would say yes it can, but you need to get it into the water column for the filter to pull it out. Well, thats my $0.02. :)