Diatom bloom

How long will this last? I added 25 snails on top of my 15.
Been doing 10-20% water change every other day. Rinsing
Filters everyday. Tank has been through hell this past month
But it look like hell. Very cloudy and bloom all over. Any thing else I
Can do?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What kind of snails did you add? Turbos do an amazing job that put the rest to shame. The only problem with them is they can be a little rough when climbing on your corals potentially knocking them over. But man do they eat and love the stuff that ails you.

Asteas and a few turbo. Maybe I'll get more turbo. I don't care right now if they knock stuff around. I can barely see it anyway! :)

DaveK

Is this a diatom bloom on your live rock and substrata, or a bloom in the water itself?

Does the cloudy water look white or gray or green? Gray may indicate a bacteria bloom. Green an algae bloom.

What type of substrate, if any, are you using?

What readings do you get for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Until the issues are resolved, I would not add more livestock, not even snails.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
When it comes to algae Turbo's kick azz!

Also Florida Cerith's do a great job of getting into the smaller places that turbos can't. Personally I wouldn't go crazy on the dwarf cerith's but I would take a look at the larger ones.

I hade a huge problem in my 56 gallon and I dumped 15 turbo's in and in 2 weeks the tank looked like it hired a maid. GL

Amm is usually .2
Nitrite .3
Nitrate .2
Haven't done much with substrate, glass bottom
The cloudy water is more on the white to gray. No green
Bloom is all brown.

DaveK

Amm is usually .2
Nitrite .3
Nitrate .2
Haven't done much with substrate, glass bottom
The cloudy water is more on the white to gray. No green
Bloom is all brown.

Thanks for the readings.

Since you are getting readings other than 0 for ammonia and nitrite, this indicates that the tank is not cycled. Also, since you have no substrata, and the water is a cloudy white to gray, this would indicate a bacteria bloom in addition to the diatom bllom your are seeing.

Now there will likely be some differences of opinion, but this is what I would recommend.

Don't make additional water changes, except to keep the ammoni level down. You need to keep ammonia down so you will not kill your fish.

Inspect all your live rock. This is going tobe a big job. Go over each piece looking for anything dead. Even long cured rock can contan things like sponges, tube worms and so on. Usually this is good, but if it dies, it can foul the water quickly. One good test is to give the rock the "smell test". Normal rock can smell sort of bad, but if there is something dead on it, the rock will reallysmell foul.

Since your going to be moving all the live rock to inspect it, also look around for anything else that is dead, such as snails.

For the time being reduce you lighinting. You don't want to do this for the long haul, but sometimes a lower level of light can help stop algae blooms.

Don't panic. Usually thise things will resolve themselves in time.

Is this a diatom bloom on your live rock and substrata, or a bloom in the water itself?

Does the cloudy water look white or gray or green? Gray may indicate a bacteria bloom. Green an algae bloom.

What type of substrate, if any, are you using?

What readings do you get for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Until the issues are resolved, I would not add more livestock, not even snails.

You had asked if it was green etc... This morning it has taken over my tank. So thick I can't see in at all.
It's greenish yellow water and the rust colored bloom on the bottom and rock. I'll try to get pics over.
What can I do?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Large water change after syphon the substrate. Use rodi water. If your tank is new this is just part of the cycle n does clear up.

,......im Matt n i support this message

Large water change after syphon the substrate. Use rodi water. If your tank is new this is just part of the cycle n does clear up.

Should I cut back on MH lights? Seems to be getting worst then when lights came on. I'll get a pic up in a few

dmatt88

Sure. Lighting has a direct effect on algae growth. Just funding the source of the bloom is the trick. Some of it is directly linked with new tank syndrome.

dmatt88

Oh my. How long u had this set up? Was the rock clean when u added it? Anything still alive? What filtrationr u using?

The tank has been running for several years. I had the dirt piling up behind rocks and then I broke down the tank by pulling all rock out and cleaning them. Re set up tank and then the hippo got ich so that took 2 days to get her out into sick tank and now this. You were one of many that gave me advise with all those issues. This one is by far the biggest problem. It all started with just alittle diatom bloom on rocks which I had under control and then within 2 days this mess which I think is an algea bloom on top of diatom. Nothing different in tank or system. I did just pull out my yellow tang she looked like she was breathing heavy but I can see anything else to get it. I think you can find my older post. I need help and advise quick. I just did a 45 gallon water change just now. Doesn't seem to have made a dent. Tomorrow I was thinking of cleaning out refug. Any thoughts?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well im not sure if anyone would agree with me on this but....if it were me i think i would be considering a diatom filter to clear things quick. Its not for blooms its just the name of the filter that uses powder as the filter pad and filters super fine particles. That should clear your water enough to make sure you get all the live stock out. I would ask for a second opinion on this first. Cleaning your fuge is a great idea and obviously getting to the source that is fueling this is your objective. Not sure what "dirt piled up behind the rocks" means. Are we talking debris from food and fish waste?