DI Water filtration??????

HowardW

Yes, you can make 0 TDS water without waste water and without using a traditional RO/DI setup with a membrane, the catch however is that the somewhat expensive DI resin can become expended very quickly depending on the total TDS it sees. DI resin has a definate life expentancy and will absorb only a certain amount of TDS in PPM before it becomes expended, and the higher the TDS of your tap water the faster the resin wears out.

I'm not sure how someone could tell you that you will need to replace your DI resin only every 3 months unless they knew how much water you planned on making daily and the TDS of your tapwater.

Warnberg

And RO/DI unit had about a 3 to 1 rejection rate. So every 100 gallons of RO/DI water made you will also make 300 gallons of waste water.
I know that sounds like a lot of water, but when you look at the grand scheme of things it's really not. On the average a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with 2 adults and 2 children living in it will consume around 10,000 gallons a month, some places are higher (much higher) and some are lower. Once the initial fill of the tank, you are only talking about top-off water and water change water.

thanks dave,

I just got off the phone with the guy the unit is 7 inches diameter and 36 inches tall it also has led indicator lights for when the resin needs to be recharged the guy is very confident that the water will test 0ppm on my TDS and is willing to hook it up and prove it in the shop.

i have a 2:00 pm appintment to check the system out.. If it tests 0ppm what do you think???

Ive gone mixed reef and skimmerless for a reason, I wanted to be different this would just be another thing that sets me aside from the norm IMHO

Howard

thank you for bringing up a point that i knew about but failed to mention . You are absoutely right about the varied life of the resin. The guy requires a resin change out every 3 months because he owns and will be leasing the large DI unit to me.. its just part of the agreement if i need it changed out more so be it i guess ill find out.

HowardW

Yup, if your tap water is high in TDS and you plan on making a lot of water you could be going through that DI resin really fast.

The DI resin in a typical RO/DI setup only sees what little gets by the membrane and cleans it up as a final stage.

You can calculate about how long a typical mixed bed resin will last if you know the incoming TDS in PPM and then divide.....the typical vertical DI stage in most RO/DI setups will hold somewhere around 6500-7000 PPM from a refill cartridge.

:bump: I dont have a TDS count on my tap water yet but will be sure to post it tonight when i get the system installed.. I will keep you all posted in this thread for sure.

by the way i have always used the tap water up until now the only time i have used other was spring water from a local tap about 15min away that pours constantly i used this water when my well ran out

judging my results of my sps and other growth i would like to say the well water has done me good I'm just looking to get a little better and im concerned about a change in the water table having negative effects on the tank....:bump:

Well i paid the man and have the Very Large DI filter with a carbon/.5micron prefilter as well.. It turns out the guy i thought was a salesman was the owner/operator and boy was he a treat. Fortunately he liked me, but not without saying how much the general public was a pain in the A$$ to deal with (definetly meaning me) He is more Industrial app.

This DI Must hold 30-50 times the resin of a standard cartradge!!!!!
He cut me a break and charged me less than his norm. rate. (PICKUP ONLY)
The man does ultra pure water service for many Pharma. Labs in NJ/NY
It is his claim that the water is far superior to RO

I guess well all find out!!!

have you thought about what to do with wast water? I use mine to fill up the washing machine, turtle tank, plants, ext..... so I technically have no waste

:contract: The New DI Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:contract:

I tested my tap water at 300ppm :drool: WOW!!:drool:

the water pours out of the spout fast and tests out at 0ppm just like the man said. It came with a industrial LED indicator light which is green and turns red when the TDS is up to 2.5ppm thats when its time to get a new canister. ($65)

how long that will be depends on the water going in so only time will tell

im going to do a 20 gallon water change tonight :whstlr:

lcstorc

Glad you are happy with what you got. It does seem awfully expensive to me, but I am glad it is working well for you.

mps9506

We actually used a similar system at our bio and chem labs at school as well as the lab at the aquarium I interned at. It good to have pressurized clean water :) And as much as you need when you need it.

We actually used a similar system at our bio and chem labs at school as well as the lab at the aquarium I interned at. It good to have pressurized clean water :) And as much as you need when you need it.

:thumber: :thumber: :thumber:

This was the reply I was really waiting for!!!!!

First hand professional experience with a similar unit.... They do come in all sizes small to just utterly HUGE!!!

Im so glad to know a large aquarium uses this method of filtration makes me more comfortable with the system.

Warnberg

I'm curious as to what else is in the water that is not being filtered out, like chlorine. Can you test to see what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alk, etc.... levels are?

well the water tests out at 0ppm TDS filtered down from 300ppm off the tap. The guy told me not to drink it because it was so neutral that it would suck the electorlites out of your body and kill you??

It is so reactive when you add the salt to it it fizz's for a minute but cleared up in normal time and the only thing i tested is The PH at 8.2 after mixed up to salinity of 1.025 with Tropic Marin Pro REEF

I just let the water sit for now havent added any to the reef yet

as for the chlorine there is none because we don't treat the well and i asked the landlord not to

Dave do you want tests of the DI water or the mixed TM Pro Water?

HowardW

<<< The guy told me not to drink it because it was so neutral that it would suck the electorlites out of your body and kill you?? >>>

LOLOL, an old wives tale.

:bugout: You can think its an old wives tale but its been backed up by the lead scientist at the Bio-Tech company that i work for. Besides why would i drink it if the guy told me not to.

If you want you can be the test Dummy and come drink a couple pints.
It would be great for you to prove my council and I wrong!!!!:guns: