Detrius Build-Up Problem

Jiddy

Im havin some serious flow problems, and im just now startin to address them. But i would like your help. The problem in the tank is phosphates are high and i believe my source is from the detrius buildup in the low flow areas. So i just need to increase my flow right, well thats easier said then done. The tank is full of corals, and adding flow seems to hit a coral with a direct flow, thus makin the coral mad. I was thinking of gettin a controller to randomize the flow a bit, but it would still be direct flow, just every 3-5seconds.

When i first setup the tank (72"L) i had two seperate CL on the top, each had 4 outlets and where directed down in the tank, this gave a nice swirl effect, but created to no-flow pools on the top of my tank, since i have a HOB overflow in the middle, the two sides with the CL's werent gettin skimmed, the design was ugly and didnt seem to be as efficient as drawn up, so i just switched to 2 Seio 2600's, placed at oppisite sides of the tank, the where my only flow, besides the 2 return sump lines, which dont do much. The seios seemed to be okay, but didnt really do much, i placed them above the sandbed line, shootin across the length of the tank, it worked but many deadspots in the middle of the tank (blocked by rock) and the rocks themselves had no flow on them. I also have a small Rio pump that takes up one corner. Then one of the Seios jammed so i went with the Maxi-Jet 1200, since you can mod them *when i get money, lol* so i bought 3 MJ's and took out the Rio. So at the present time i have: 2 return lines, 1 Seio 2600, 3 MJ 1200. I added the MJ's at both sides of the tank and one on top of the tank blowin towards the front. The rockwork isnt touched and the corals seem to be directly blown on anywhere i add the powerheads, detrius constantly collects on my pagoda and other corals, which i remove daily, but i cant really turkey bast the whole tank every day, would just like some suggestions..... WHAT TO DO! Thanks for your time

-El Jidda

mps9506

Get the MJ mod kit. That'll widen and increase the flow. If you have dead spots at the bottom that is fine. The once a week water changes will take care of that build up. As long as your remove the detrius from your tank it will slowly decrease your nitrates.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Jiddy, are you bare bottom?
When I was bare bottom, I liked to have a corner of the tank that collected ditritus... super easy to vacuum out during water changes. I concentrated on the flow over the corals. I allowed for medium but gentle flow over the them and some stronger flow behind/under the rocks.

Get a phosban reactor to remove po4 and make sure your ro/di filters are working properly.

Try NOT to make it so complicated that it becomes a chore.

boozeman

how about a vortech? the flow is wide enough that it wouldnt blast any one coral in particular. Another option would be a tunze wave box, the swaying motion is great at pushing the detritus into 'piles'...only problem with these two options is cost