December POTM Contest!

sambrinar

Read the post again, it says coral.

Hmmm.. well I did and noooo it's says....

:bouncer: It's photo contest time again so start uploading your photos!

December's contest theme will be Christmas colors!!...... "any RED or GREEN marine fish, invert, coral, algae, etc...." may be entered.

Okay, okay... it is updated to read: "any fish, invert, coral, algae, etc...."

Great pics everyone!

sambrinar

I'm seeing mostly corals. I thought this was for "any RED or GREEN marine Fish or Invert" - are we considering corals an invert?

I thought they where considered inverts? Still new to all this... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not 100% sure. Corals definitely aren't vertebrates, so maybe they could be considered inverts? I always considered inverts to be crabs, shrimp, snails, slugs, etc.

yeah, corals are definitely inverts, they are very genetically similar to jellyfish, which would be the ultimate invert

Jelly fish ARE an invert... Corals are not inverts.. LOL they are ... well.... coral.. SPS, LPS, etc.. inverts are snails, shrimp, nudies, stars.. and such like reefmack said.. there are mobile and immobile inverts as well... think of them as something that.. might have a brain, not just a reaction

PootyTang

I don't know if maybe we're talking about a reefing definition of invert or not, but from a scientific perspective, coral's AND jellyfish would both be considered inverts. Both corals and jellyfish are in the phylum Cnidaria, making them fairly similar genetically, rather than the subphylum Vertebrata. I've heard of people referring to inverts as shrimp, snails etc. but if you're looking for a solid definition, all you can do is define an invertebrate as an organism without a vertebral column, which would include corals.

Octoman

Any animal without a backbone or notochord is an invert(ebrate), so corals are inverts (sponges too!).

sambrinar

This really isn't the place for this discussion.. but, just out of curiosity...then why when you shop online ... inverts (snails, shrimp etc) listed seperately from corals? I have never heard of corals being considered inverts.. but whatever...

Mark are you in stealth mode?? LOL

So Doni... for future use.. if you have a contest with inverts.. are you gonna include corals??

Shamus

Here's my entry - red and green zoas!

Zoas.jpg

seafansar

This really isn't the place for this discussion.. but, just out of curiosity...then why when you shop online ... inverts (snails, shrimp etc) listed seperately from corals? I have never heard of corals being considered inverts.. but whatever...

Corals are invertebrates, but it's just easier for on-line stores to separate "inverts" and "corals," or their "inverts" section would be huge. Everyone usually knows what they mean. As for the photo contests, they usually specify what they are wanting if there's a problem with the lingo, like they did in this contest.

sambrinar

I'm just sayin' I have never seen corals posted as inverts here or anywhere.. I understand the reasoning.. tho

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Corals are invertebrates, but it's just easier for on-line stores to separate "inverts" and "corals," or their "inverts" section would be huge. Everyone usually knows what they mean. As for the photo contests, they usually specify what they are wanting if there's a problem with the lingo, like they did in this contest.

If you look at Liveaquaria they sell mushroom corals, and mushrooms aren't corals at all biologically. Online stores really are not very accurate when it comes to taxonomy.

If your an animal you are either a vert or an invert. The reef animal that comes closest to bridging the gap is oddly a sea squirt (Tunicate), which has notochord during part of its life. Sea squirts are in the same phylum we are - Chordata

Keep the pictures coming!

sambrinar

Very interesting.. I stand corrected.. looky there... I leart sumthin :D

Wikipedia...

Cnidaria — jellyfishes, corals, sea anemones, hydras

and yes..... back to topic