Dead Rock Question

BurrHead

When i emptied my SW aquarium 10 plus years ago I had a piece of live rock that I placed on a shed behind my house. Since then I'm back into it and I really love the shape and character of this piece of rock. The only problem is it has been outside for years and has some moss growing on it. Is there a way to clean it and would it be safe to put back into my new aquarium? I know it would take a long time to become live rock again but my concerns are safety to my tank.

Scooterman

You can soak it in bleach and water a few days just in a small bucket, or boil it in water a while to purge it throughly. Rinse and soak over night before using. Should be good as new once it gains some life in it!

Scooterman

Bleach will be harmless if cleaned properly, soak in about two gallons water to 1 1/2 cups, mix well. Then after a night, rinse well, clean off rock as you can then soak in clean water a few days, you can even boil before then soak it.

Scooterman

Boomer once told me to use some of this stuff before you put it back in your tank after a good bleaching, I think I left the rocks in a few days so after rinsing lots I used it. This is very cheap and just a little extra to help stabilize it. It is called AmQuel, you can pick it up almost any pet shot, cheep!

Kordon AmQuel® Ammonia/Chloramine Remover