Day one of vodka dosing

rufus2008

sorry about that it is nov 21st, up at 4:30am and to work for 6am(ya I'm at work now, I'm ã powerengineer, not an exciting job). the other fish look fine except for the Singapore angel has ã few lifted looking scales.None of the others are showing signs of stress, all are eating well and no one is gasping for O2, I'll check all water parameters when I get home and see if anythings out of whack.

rufus2008

now that I've thought about my tang I'm pretty sure it was old age. when you've had ã healthy fish for ã long time and all of ã sudden they look like crap and you know they're going to die. I'm sure everyone out there's been through this. but to be on the safe side I'll still check my wterm param's when I get home.

rufus2008

So I've checked my water parameters and everythings the same as last check except the alkalinity is at 8.9 where it was 7.8dkh. I don't think that would affect the tang, I would expect it might affect the corals before the fish, just my feelings on that. So I'll chalk his death up to old age, too bad it was a really pretty fish for a long time, oh well... And the ph is down to 7.9 instead of 8.1 but that could be because the lights are off right now. I don't want to add buffer because of the alk reading and the vsv dosing, supposed to keep alk at 7-8dkh so you don't burn any corals.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
overdose of organic carbon can deplete oxygen prety fast

recheck the amount dosed.

rufus2008

I'm definately not o.d'ing! I'm still on my start up dose and its been 2 weeks now. I started at half my recommended dose and only added 0.1mls to it weeky so I'm way under what I should be putting in according to the posted schedule. None of the other fish are showing any signs of stress or lack of O2. Besides my protein skimmer and fx5 generate alot of micro-bubbles if it ever happens that it does get od'd they should help get some of the O2 back.

rufus2008

I'm up to day 17 dosing and still no changes in nitrate levels, but I am only on 0.7mls daily. I'm going extra slow with the dosing regimen so I don't get the white slime break out(too much bacteria). I did order some mb7 and chemi pure elite yesterday and will add the mb7 to the tank daily and the cpe to the fx5 to see if that helps my nitrate and phosphate readings. I use only well water, not ro water, which could be another reason why my nitrates are stubborn to change. If I get more bacteria from dosing and the mb7 will they not help conquer the nitrates regardless of where they come from? I may save up for an ro unit. Has anyone had any luck with the one that you hook directly to your tap from aquarium pharmacueticals? JL aquatics in BC has these units for $53. I'd like to hear any feedback.

rufus2008

I'm thinking of buying a ro unit from ebay after christmas, any ideas or suggestions on what type to get? The more stages the better right?

chipmunkofdoom2

Do you currently have an RO unit? I would have tried that before carbon dosing..

Mine was a cheap $70 6 stage from PureWaterClub.com. 2 years later and my TDS is around 1 or 2 PPM. I haven't maintained it very well at all, a quick swap out of the filters and that'll probably go back to zero.

zigginit

well water.... thats your problem i think. no fixing that without new water source. nobody said this hobby was cheap or easy.

rufus2008

Oh we all no that. Everything about it is expensive! I think I'm going to stop dosing (I'm only at 0.8mls and no change to nitrate levels) and in the new year purchase a RO unit to clean my well water. The more stages the better right? I'm going to try to get one that has ultraviolet sterilization too. I thought about purchasing water at a self serve dispencer but whose to say that they are keeping up with there filter maintenance. Better to be safe than sorry I'm going to buy my own then I know what I've got.

zigginit

i use the self dispencer water, i think its been ok but i would rather have an RO unit. i dont see the need for UV in the filter though. once you add salt that will kill fresh water bacteria anyways.

rufus2008

I never thought of that. But I still may go with the uv because I will be hooking it up to my kitchen water supply so we'll be using it for drinking water as well and I'd like the added protection for that.