Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Pat24601

I assume you are still waiting it out. Just let us know how it goes. Definitely an emotional challenge.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I caught him at the LFS this weekend stocking up on reef crystal water changes so I assume he is doing a big change

Danreef

Hi Guys

The people in this forum and in Reef Sanctuary in general are the best !!!!

All your postings are giving me the energy to continue with the tank. THANK YOU TO ALL !!!

Well, I have to do an update of the status of the tank.

The best are pictures:

Tank of 8/12/2014

Thank today 2/16/2015

As you can see there is no color, and that is due to the high nutrients of the tank (NO3/PO4). I have not measured them in a week. Neither I have time today, but better, because I am not doing anything beside husbandry to get the tank in equilibrium, I really do not need to know.

But that is not totally true !!! I keep measuring ALK and Ca. Last week it was at 8 dkh and Ca 440 ppm. After this posting I will go to measure, just in case I need to adjust the doser due to the lose of the big SPS colonies.

Also, I am doing something to fight the PO4. I have added again a refugium, but this time not in the media rack (lights underwater finished not working). I have added a 7 G Nano tank I had from last year.

The RSM 250 is in the ex-garage of the house, now finished as a second family room. The ex-garage, had a tool room. That is where all my fish stuff is. The tank back is facing the wall of this tool room. so I placed the refugium in the tool room and connected it to the RSM 250.

PICTURES:

The only Macro algae I was able to get in LFS this weekend. The 2 leathers come, one from my son tank that he did not want it, so I rescue the guy, and the white one from for 14G biocube that was too big and I have to cut a branch. Picture with the coral just cut.

The white pipe is the return. Waters return by gravity to the media rack. The refugium is in the tool room several inches higher than the RSM 250. The green tubing is connected to a MaxiJet 1200 (I believe that was the pump) that is located in the chamber of pump #1. This tube has a valve, in the other side of the wall to control the pump flow.

Return in media chamber

I did a 20% water change with Reef Crystals and added those 7 gallon of new water with the refugium.

If the coral dying stop this week, I will be more than happy. Let see what happens.

It was nice to cross Bryan this weekend at the LFS. Not only his corals growth very well, he show me a picture of his son, that I saw l3-4 months ago in person and is incredible how it grew !!!

Cheers to all and thanks again for the support !!!!

Daniel

Last edited:

Pat24601

Daniel,

It is awesome to see some positive progress! I know this has really got you down, but coming back from difficult events is always the true test and positive events are totally awesome to see!

Also, the refugium looks great!

Last edited:

Danreef

Daniel,

It is awesome to see some positive progress! I know this has really got you down, but coming back from difficult events is always the true test and positive events are totally awesome to see!

Also, the refugium looks great!

Thank you !!!

Well, after almost a month, I though it would be nice to post an UPDATE !!!

Corals are recovering, slowly but going in a positive way. Some colors have returned. No more STN, for now. I finish the refugium and Macro are growing well (that means I have enough Phosphate to feed them). Last week PO4 where at 0.06 ppm and Nitrates 12 ppm (high). Have not measured this weekend and will not do it again until 3-4 weeks.

Pictures are better than 1000 words. I will provide a little speech when the picture deserves it.

Tank today 3/28/2015

Sorry....glass dirty on this corner :-(

Last edited:

Danreef

Continue........

NEW addition (~ 1 month) , incrusting very well...

Right Red Planet fully recovered and growing. The other (to the left upper) in recovery. You can see the polyps but yet far away of what it was, but is not loosing more tissue. Also see the green in the Left. It was almost white (bleached) and with a lot of GHA. Has recovered the green color, lost the GHA and you can see small new growing tips.

Red Planet recovered !!!!!

The green Policipora ? in recovery !!!

Danreef

NOW THE REFUGIUM (20G)

In the wall you can see a Reef Keeper Lite (I had it from a previous tank). I am using to control all the lights and added an extra 200W heater. This heater and the main heater in the RSM 250 are controller by the RKL. If temperature goes over 78 F electricity is shut-off. Below you see a blue air pump. I have 2 in the main tank and one here. In case electricity is off, they start automatically. They use battery. Very cheap and a warranty to provide oxygen to the tank until I can start the generator.

The refugium has two bulkheads (returns) (see left upper white and one bottom right that is extended to the surface). I got the tank used and drilled in that way.

The refugium tank has another HOB acrylic refugium that I filled with media bags containing SEACHEM MATRIX to increase the bacteria bioload. They are artificial rocks with high porosity to allow aerobic and anaerobic bacterias growth. It will be like "Live Rock" but with a higher surface to volume ratio than a live rock of the same size. That means more bacterias. I added this product (2 bags) 2 months ago to the RSM 250 media rack. Now I filled the HOB fuge. To clean you shake it every 3 months (to say) in the used water of your water change and return it to the tank. Just as blasting the live rock.

Some of the Macro Algae (beside the classical Caulerpa and Chaeto)

That is all guys !!!!!

Daniel

Last edited:

Danreef

I still need to install this pump stopper in case something incredible happens and both returns of the refugium blocks and the pump, that is in the RSM 250 continue pumping. The water goes from the RSM 250 to the refugium tanks that has 2 returns. Water return by gravity.

This is the MATRIX if someone is interested in looking for it to read in internet.

Daniel

Last edited:

Pat24601

It's so great to see things in recovery!!! I was thinking about you today, but I figured if you weren't posting, I wasn't going to press to see how things were.

Impressive steps to recovery!