Damsels not actually beginner fish?

Beychev

When I was buying all my stuff for my JBJ nano (28g w. LEDs), I was told by the woman helping me that damsels would not do well in a tank my size, behavior wise and would eat everything I could fit in it.

I always thought damsels were the quintessential starter fish, and though I'd rather have a healthy, happy system more than anything else I really do like domino damsels and would love it if one would work!

So, is it true? Are damsels really not nano ideal?

drachen

well damsels are fine and people like to use them to start or break their tank in because they are hardy, they wont eat other things you put in but they will get very territorial and aggressive to anything else you add and would probably harass them to death. Plus when you want to trade them out or get rid of them, they are a real pain to catch haha.

Swanheezy

i had 3 and had to get ride of them because they we not very nice to each other and the others in the tank, get a clown or firefish if your tank is cycled

QuentinB

Sizewise, I don't think you'd have a problem. I've seen a couple examples of picotopes with a single damsel in there. If they can thrive in 3 gallons, I can't imagine they'd do bad in a 28.

However, as these guys pointed out, they're very territorial, and you might have issues with the other fish you want in there being harassed. With aggressive fish, you usually add them last. Put them in there first, and they'll think they own the whole tank.

There's plenty of great starter fish to look into, do your research, and find something that you like that suits your tank(as well as possible tankmates). And if you really like the idea of having damsels, I'm sure you could find a way to make it work, other people have! Good luck!

seafansar

What fish do you want to have in the long run? A damsel will limit what else you can have, because like stated earlier they are usually territorial. I had a talbot damsel (my first fish) and he was very peaceful. I may have just lucked out on that though.

Beychev

I was just questioning it because I've always heard of damsels being the first fish beginners get. I have no clue what I want to stock, except that a pair of clowns would be friggen' cute :p. Thankfully my tank has yet to cycle, so I've got plenty of time to decide :)

@QuentinB: thanks for all the advice! How are you liking your JBJ?

@drachen: I'll remember that. In one of my FW tanks I have corydoras cats...they are the dickens to catch!

OHreefer

The smaller the tank, the more territorial some fish like damsels can get. They ARE a beginner's fish. They're cheap, colorful and hardy. They will exhibit less aggression the larger the tank gets. Now, some clown fish can be very territorial as well. After all, clown fish are in the damsel family! Probably the most territorial of the clown fish are Clarkii Clowns. I have a pair, and she calmed down a bit, but she would terrorize everyone in my tank. Do some research to get a more peaceful one. I believe another tactic would be to introduce the more peaceful fish first, and any territorial ones last. Good luck!

chipmunkofdoom2

Damsels are great starter fish.. they just have a bad temper. You certainly can get a domino damsel, just introduce it last.

There are no guarantees because though members of the same species generally share common traits, each one may be a little different and have its own personality. Having said that, in most cases when you introduce the less aggressive fish first and let them establish their own territories, they are less likely to be harassed if a more aggressive fish is added later.

A 28 doesn't have room for a lot of fish, but if you have a few you'd like, make the domino last and start with a more docile one.

DBrinson

Try a couple of blue-green reef chromis if you want damsel toughness, reef safe certification, and don't want a territorial "humbug".

Jetbkk

Beychev: I started the move to salt water with the same misconception as you... I got a Damsel as my first fish and now 5 months later I will get rid of it as soon as I can catch it (which judging by how things are going might be never! they are very hard to catch!).

It is a great looking fish and very hardy, but as the others say very territorial and aggressive. Mine killed a firefish in a day and is always the one spewing sand all over the place or messing with things. Clowns are good starter fish as well and i'm sure there are others...

Curehead

I think most people use them to start because they are so cheap and known to be nitrate tolerant. I was warned from the beginning by several people that they are not a good reef fish. I started out with a pair of clown fish and added three green/blue chromies and they all get on fine. The clowns will sometimes nip at the chromies but they are fast as greased lightnin and seem to enjoy the chase.

Beychev

Thanks for all the input. If I do decide to go with a damsel, I'll be sure to add it last!

For all those who asked, my current thinking on stocking is a pair of false percs or ocellaris (my LFS sells these crazy patterned ones. I love crazy patterns!), flame angel and a domino damsel.

Jetbkk

I've been trying to catch mine every night for the last 3 days and can't get him! He is a master escape artist... once I get him, he's outta there!

I have an Aureus Yellow damsel, who I thought by himself in a 10 gallon would be great. To this day I hope my rock flower anemone or my reef lobster eats the stupid thing. He moves and spits sand everywhere, steals food from corals and bites my fingers.. I have named him Jerkface. Don't get damsels!

Beychev

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Ultimately, I went with Clarkii's, related to damsels...but much nicer :)

Reddog170

I would not say that they are better. Clowns can still be very territorial. My maroon clown will kill anything else I put in my tank. Even if I reach in to do something she attacks. In the end, fish are like people, they all have there own personalities. Shaun

seafansar

I definitely wouldn't put a clarkii's in a 28 gallon. They too are aggressive and they get pretty big for a clownfish. Smallest I'd put them in would be a 45 gallon and only have a couple other fish. They do get big!

Beychev

I was advised otherwise, but I guess it's just a difference of opinion.

I myself also figured that they're mated pair, so presumably the aggression would be reduced due to that. And it's not like I'll be having any other fish in the tank (I prefer just one fish, or a pair of fish per tank).

And if they seem stressed, my levels get wacky or they're suddenly the size of my hand I'm sure I'll find a home for them at/through the Boston Aquarium society...we'll just have to see!

seafansar

As a pair they should get along fine. As long as they are the only fish in there, I guess they should be fine. If they get something to host, they probably won't leave it to swim that much anyway.