damsel frustrations

Beto

ARGHHH! We just spent FOREVER catching the 5 damsels in our tank. There has to be a better way!

pyxis

i made a acrylic trap to get rid of mine. Just tossed some food in it and he swam right in.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I was wondering that too Saltyqueen... I THINK they are a type of fish lure... you know, the ones with a sharp hook! :eek:

I actually have owned a blue damsel for almost 3 1/2 years now... she has proved to be a wonderful fish and gets along very well with everyone else!!! I wouldn't trade her for anything!! :)

addict

Yep, DuPont Spinners are a fish lure. :D

I saw a post where somebody caught a wrasse with a minnow hook and a piece of shrimp somewhere... and here I thought that the aquarium was only for looking at... not interactive. :D

BoomerD

OOOOOH KAAAAY!
Dupont Spinner is the name given to the technique also known as "Fishing with Dynamite". Toss in a small stick of dynamite, BOOM!! Fish float to the top.
Gather all the fish you want!
Thus, when trying to catch the dreaded Damnsels, use a Dupont Spinner! Works every time, but might "re-arrange" your rock work.

You know the old story...The fellow sas well known for his ability to catch fish anywhere he went. His neighbor, who happened to be a game warden, talked him into taking him along on a fishing trip. Once out in the middle of the lake, the first fellow lit a stick of dynamite, tossed it in the lake, BOOM!! Fish Everywhere! OMG!! said the game warden...That's against the law, You CAN'T do that!! The first fellow lights another stick of dynamite, hands it to the game warden and asks "Are you gonna talk or fish?"

:smck: :smck:
UhOh! someone called the cops!
:wit:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I found that when you use 2 big nets, and some flake food, or freeze dried food that floats, and starve em for a couple days, its real easy :D I managed to get my 2 damnsels out in less than 10 min when I wanted to start adding real fish. Those domino damnsels are cool lookin when they're babies, but are big mean and nasty when they get bigger than 2-3".

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
A Fishing Lure
A couple of young boys were fishing at their special pond off the beaten track. All of a sudden, the Game Warden jumped out of the bushes.

Immediately, one of the boys threw his rod down and started running through the woods like a bat out of hell. The Game Warden was hot on his heels.

After about a half mile, the young man stopped and stooped over with his hands on his thighs to catch his breath, so the Game Warden finally caught up to him.

"Let's see yer fishin' license, Boy!" the Warden gasped.

With that, the boy pulled out his wallet and gave the Game Warden a valid fishing license.

"Well, son," said the Game Warden. "You must be about as dumb as a box of rocks! You don't have to run from me if you have a valid license!"

"Yes, sir," replied the young guy. "But my friend back there, well, he don't have one."

:D

Ladipyg

Has anyone ever head of a damsel fish (yellow) taking up residence under a BTA. The clown takes the top and snuggles in the tentacles and the darn damsel is underneath. She gets swiped by the tentacles pretty regular and seems ok. Anyway it's a behavior I've never seen before...has anyone else had fish other than clowns using anenomes like this??

Curtswearing

That's great info. BTW did you know that cardinals often host in anemones too? Damsels are in the same family as clownfish and often do it too.

Clownfish aren't born immune to anemone's. Prior to adopting an anemone, they rub up against the base to coat themselves with the anemone's mucus. Once coated, they are safe inside the stinging cells in the anemones tentacles. Any fish that knows how to do this is safe.

The following is from the February 2004 issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine

A number of cardinalfish will associate with sea anemones, with several common western Pacific species being well known for this. The orangestriped cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma) and the Moluccan cardinalfish (A. moluccensis) occasionally associate with the leathery (or sebae) anemone (Heteractis crispa) and the magnificent sea anemone (H. magnifica). The bridle cardinalfish is a resident of the Atlantic Ocean that inhabits the curlycue sea anemone (Bartholomea annulata). In some cases, cardinalfish simply swim near the stinging tentacles. In other cases, they readily contact and shelter within them.

The Banggai cardinalfish was originally reported to shelter among the spines of Diadema sea urchins. In Lembeh Strait, northern Sulawesi, I have regularly seen them swimming near the corkscrew tentacle (Macrodactyla doreensis), giant carpet (Stichodactyla gigantea) and Haddon's carpet (S. haddoni) anemones. It will contact and swim among the tentacles of the leathery sea anemone. With the other three, the cardinals usually swim close but never (or rarely) come in contact with the stinging cells.

Once, I also saw a juvenile Banggai swimming around and between (but not contacting) the tentacles of the deadly Hell's fire anemone (Actinodendron sp.). Anemones are not the only cnidarians these cardinalfish associate with. Juveniles will swim among the tentacles of the anemonelike stony coral Heliofungia actiniformis.

When these cardinalfish first started to appear in Lembeh Strait, a single anemone would typically harbor an adult pair of P. kauderni and occasionally one or two juveniles. As the Banggai population increased, the most desirable anemones (i.e., H. crispa) were overrun with these cardinalfish. The carpet anemones, which seem the less-sought-after host, were still home to solitary pairs of P. kauderni. It's not unusual to see Banggai cardinalfish sharing an anemone with anemonefishes. I have seen them living alongside pairs of Clark's anemonefish (Amphiprion clarkii) and the pink skunk anemonefish (A. perideraion). One patch of three medium-size H. crispa was home to a pair of Banggai cardinals, a breeding pair of Clark's and a pair of pink skunks. In this and other cases, the anemonefish paid little attention to the cardinalfish, even when the anemonefish were guarding eggs.

If you get an individual Banggai or a pair of these apogonids, there is a good chance they will swim among the tentacles of your sea anemone. I have seen them associate with H. crispa on a number of occasions in the aquarium, as well as in the wild.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Ladipyg
Has anyone ever head of a damsel fish (yellow) taking up residence under a BTA. The clown takes the top and snuggles in the tentacles and the darn damsel is underneath. She gets swiped by the tentacles pretty regular and seems ok. Anyway it's a behavior I've never seen before...has anyone else had fish other than clowns using anenomes like this??

All fish can adopt an anemone host by covering themselves in the mucos from the foot which protects it from the sting of the tentacles. Clowns are a member of the Damsel family so this is really not unusual behavior.

Curtswearing

LOL....whose the Regular Guy Moderator who pointed out to me that clownfish and damsels are in the same family and as a result, often adopt this behavior???? :)