Damaged coral.

Copepod

Quick question...

If a coral is bruised how long does it take for the skeleton to show?

I bought a pagoda cup coral yesterday afternoon and had to take it back this morning because it was too large for my 8g nano. I brought it in and they said it was showing skeleton, so they may not let me exchange. The exposed area of skeleton was about the size of a penny on the edge of the coral.

To my knowledge the coral wasn't harmed when it was in my possession. I did spend a small amount of time moving it about in my tank to try and find a spot where it may fit, could this drastically damage a coral? Maybe the skeleton was showing before I bought it and was covered up by extended polyps.

I have let the LFS keep the coral so they can make sure nothing is wrong with it. I'm guessing this is normal procedure. It may not be a big deal and the LFS will let me swap for a smaller piece or it could be that it was my fault and stuck with a huge coral that is damaged. But.. I am still a newb and don't want to be taken advantage of.

Opinions? Thanks for the help!

tex5620

this one happened to me as well. when I saw the pagoda in the store it was fully bloomed out. I got home acclimated it and put in display. It was an impulse buy that my wife begged for. I did some research and found out that they are hard to keep and knew I wasn't up for it at the time becuase I was a noob. I tried to take it back but when it was pulled back it had a penny size area that was skeleton that didn't show. they wouldn't take back for that reason full well knowing it was that way when they sold it. slowely over time that penny became a quarter and so on until I had to take out. good luck

Copepod

this one happened to me as well. when I saw the pagoda in the store it was fully bloomed out. I got home acclimated it and put in display. It was an impulse buy that my wife begged for. I did some research and found out that they are hard to keep and knew I wasn't up for it at the time becuase I was a noob. I tried to take it back but when it was pulled back it had a penny size area that was skeleton that didn't show. they wouldn't take back for that reason full well knowing it was that way when they sold it. slowely over time that penny became a quarter and so on until I had to take out. good luck

Thanks!

That's a bummer, not what I wanted to hear, lol. As far as detailed inspection of corals before I buy them goes.. I have defiantly learned my lesson.

From what I researched the green pagoda cup (thick variety) is rather hearty. Maybe I need better sources.

If I am forced to take it back I'll try my best to keep it alive. The biggest problem is space. The coral barely fits in my tank, which means lighting it is going to be difficult. There are only 2 spots where it fits right in the middle of my LR or in the upper corner about 1 inch from the water's surface.

Anyone have an idea about how long will it take for the skeleton to show.