D3monic's Mandarins

D3monic

Im splitting my Introduction thread for the focus of my Mandarin breeding efforts. The beginning of my thread can be found here. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/meet-greet-forum/48254-updated-introduction.html

I Still got the 3 fry. Somewhere around 175 hours. I did my first 1gal water change today. I am adding a few drops of prime to the mix and refilling the tank very slowly. I have decided to dedicate my reef tank to Dragonets. I am getting rid of a few fish to make room. I will replace them with a small female spotted and hopefully a pair of red scooters eventually. On a darker note I wasnt paying attention when I was putting my memory card back into my Canon rebel xti. I put it in sideways and broke two of the pins inside the body that plug into the card. Looks like no good pics for awhile. :closed: LFS ordered me a female that came in today but she was almost twice the size of my current male Spotted. Needless to say I didnt get her because I am certain she would tear him to shreads. I had to seriously fight impusles. They had one of the most beautifull female Green Mandarins I ever seen. She had lots of yellow on her fins and her entire face was bright yellow with a big blue blotch covering her snout. Very pretty. I had a mental argument for about 20mins before the more logical portion convinced myself that the current spawning female would not appreciate competition.

D3monic

NS. Its not the memmory card thats broke its the internal of the camera.....hopefully theres a way to take it apart and replace just that peice. I bought the darn thing a few months ago and I dont forsee having another $500 to blow on another used one. *sniffle.

plecosword

That sounds like a nice camera, doesn't it have a bit of internal memory? usually cameras have a few megabites enough to take 11 pics.

lcstorc

That stinks about the camera. Hope you can get it fixed soon.
I really want to follow along with your breeding success.

D3monic

07-01-09 9:30pm Collected another spawn. I still have one remaining fry from the last spawn. Approx 194hours post spawn.

Last edited:

D3monic

new batch last night 7-03-09 9:28 (seems spawning events happen around this hour 90% of the time.)

Video of larvae possibly 2hours after thier hatch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_OS8HMW_nQ[/youtube]

My Camera is broke so I have to resort to the camcorder for everything

ReefLady

Staff member
That's awesome. Sorry to hear about the camera - I would bring it to a local repair shop and ask for an estimate...it might not cost as much to repair as you might anticipate.

D3monic

Hopefully not. It was a nice camera. I imagine if they are any good they could just replace the two pins.....hopefully atleast.

D3monic

8:34pm Got another small spawn. It was the story of my life. My wife an I where sitting down to a corned beef and cabbage dinner watching the movie push. I look over to see the Mandarins getting ready to spawn. I slowly get up and walk over to the tank and grab my camcorder off the desk thinking I had a perfect opportunity to film a egg release. Batterys dead. After about 30 seconds of cursing I plug it in and hope they wait a few minutes. One minute later they rised under the bright lights right into the viewing area of the display and released.

Sapphire

So excited to see your efforts... I love mandarins.

I'm also vey pleased to see you're keen on bangaiis - there are a couple of people here in NZ breeding them with promising results from what I understand (not that I'm presenting myself as an authority!).

Anyway I look forward to following your progress!

fivel

If there is something cuter than a mandarin with their adorable faces... it would be little teeny tiny mandarins :) Best of luck... this is very exciting. I can't wait to follow their development as they grow up :)

D3monic

just collected another spawn at 10pm. No idea when the release was. I had the pumps off while I played Left for dead. I now have 2 fry about 3-4 days old. A whole bunch of prolarvae from the other day and a couple dozen eggs i collected tonight and no substantial rotifer culture. *sniffle.

Sapphire

If there is something cuter than a mandarin with their adorable faces... it would be little teeny tiny mandarins :) Best of luck... this is very exciting. I can't wait to follow their development as they grow up :)

here's a photo I took a couple of days ago.....

Iroquois2.jpg

fivel

Wow... that's an awesome pic... I see you've put a lot of training in to get her to pose like that :p

D3monic

Heres a pic of my Male Jack
IMG_2391.jpg

My Female Sally hydrated with eggs
IMG_2866.jpg

yes that is jack and sally like in Nightmare before christmas. I also got a pom pom named oogy boogy